Law School Discussion

Boyd- UNLV?

Re: Boyd- UNLV?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 09:11:18 PM »
Just make sure you read my post re: career services.

It's all relative. It is still cheaper than most of the West Coast. Compared to the midwest, not so much.

I agree! It's one of the factors that I considered in accepting here. It is the least expensive school, both public and private, in terms of tuition, on the west coast. The COL in general is not cheap, but reasonable, and much more reasonable than where I currently live (Bay Area/SF).

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »
How do the girls look at that school?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »

ooohhhh, good question!

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 07:37:36 PM »
Undergrads are nice especially early in the fall when it's still warm out. Not as much in the law school.

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »

Dude, Vegas is about as close to So Cal as you're going to get without being in So Cal.  UNLV (and I'm sure the Law School) doesn't have any pull though on picking up chicks though, from the perspectives I've heard it's more for people who can't get rich on the Strip one way or another.

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 08:28:57 AM »
There is, overall, not a lot of emphasis put on higher education in Las Vegas simply because it is relatively easy to make a decent living without a college degree. This also contributes to a very low high school graduation rate. So, no, saying you go to Boyd is not going to get you a lot of pull because the bartender/waitress/etc you're hitting on probably already makes more than you are going to make after you graduate.

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
There is, overall, not a lot of emphasis put on higher education in Las Vegas simply because it is relatively easy to make a decent living without a college degree. This also contributes to a very low high school graduation rate. So, no, saying you go to Boyd is not going to get you a lot of pull because the bartender/waitress/etc you're hitting on probably already makes more than you are going to make after you graduate.

wow that sucks. No sense in going to law school there then if you dont even make more than bartenders and waitresses do.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »

wow that sucks. No sense in going to law school there then if you dont even make more than bartenders and waitresses do.

i think he was referring to undergrad majors.

i hope...

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 10:30:07 AM »
No. Service industry workers (e.g., valet, waitresses, waiter, bartender, dealers, etc.) at the top hotels can easily do $75K+++ after a few years. Big Law is around $100K.

i think he was referring to undergrad majors.

i hope...

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 02:12:11 AM »
Oh yeah, get in at one of those mega resort hotels and work up to catering to the high rollers, and you're on a much better career path than some sucker with a JD.  Any semi-trendy restaurant and bar, or one in a good location, is going to have service people making major bank.  People go to Vegas to spend money, and if they hit it big they could buy out the bar and tip you a couple hundred bucks like nothing.