Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boyd- UNLV?  (Read 3090 times)

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boyd- UNLV?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 06:42:38 PM »
i don't know much about las vegas neighborhoods, but i have family members who, in the last few months, sold a 3bd/2ba in what appears to be the 'winchester' neighborhood (according to mapquest) for well under 200k.

they did get above their asking price, though.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 08:20:16 PM »
Choson I say put the seat deposit down and if you get into Loyola or change your mind, $250 is not such a huge setback. I really do believe that it is already a good school and in the near future will be a great one.

Finding a 2 bdr home for under 200K in Seven Hills or Summerlin, which are the nicest areas in my opinion, is tough but doable. I prefer the Seven Hills, Silverado Ranch, Green Valley Ranch, and Green Valley area in gen'l. My bf and I have found a few for under 200K, even 3 bdr. for some.

Outside of these areas you could definitely find homes for under 200K.

The best ways to find these homes is not on the internet b/c these homes are being overpriced to the naive, but at the entrances of supermarkets in "New Homes" guides and publications by realtors. Or work w/ a realtor.

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 01:34:12 AM »
Hey giraffe, what would be a nice safe area to live in Vegas?

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 08:37:03 AM »
Those areas that I mentioned. You can go to apartmentguide.com and request a book for the greater las vegas area and take a look. In those areas the rent is really cheap, many of them are gated w/ a pool. One place, Lontano in Seven Hills even offers a tanning bed for residents and is also gated. You could definitely get a 2 bdr for around $800 there. They are close to the 215 so getting to UNLV only takes 15 mins.

Around UNLV is safe during the day, but there are every now and then homeless ppl walking around at night. LV is really trying to crackdown on these ppl though and has become less of a problem. North LV I wouldn't recommend either. It's in the news too much.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 02:26:05 PM »
Hey Choson

Where have you decided to go to? You have a lot of choices... Lucky you.

thechoson

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 05:27:44 PM »
Hey Lawgirl,
Ehh.. not as many choices as some of the geniuses on this board, I got lucky with the LSATs.

I still haven't made up my mind.  I am considering USD, ASU, and now UNLV, and Loyola if they accept me.  USD is really turning me off by their attitude and also their refusal to give me money (considering I got 10k from Temple, which is ranked higher, not to mention ASU is cheaper cause of state tuition).  So I think I'd lean towards ASU or Loyola (once again, if I get in).  UNLV seems very promising as a law school, so it is intriguing.  I am really getting sick of the CA law schools and their attitudes.  Santa Clara has become notorious on this board, but USD keeps acting like they're doing me a favor by answering the phone and answering my questions, and have really really really turned me off.  I swear, SCU and USD think they are Stanford and Boalt.

Now on this topic.  I don't think I'll be able to visit UNLV before seat deposits are due.  Thank you to Giraffe and others who have provided opinions on Las Vegas, but has anybody actually visited UNLV or Boyd?  Can you guys tell me how it is?  Also there's an admit day this Saturday which I can't attend, anybody planning on going?

thanks!

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 09:41:33 PM »
I spent all of my high school living in Las Vegas (Henderson to be exact). I also applied to UNLV and was admitted w/ a full tuition scholarship. Right now I am planning on going there unless I get into USC.

What I can tell the greatest thing about LV is that you meet the most fascinating ppl there. While living and working as a lifeguard in the hotels I have met Shaq, Carmen Electra, Bill Clinton (he loves it there), many important businessmen, restauranteers, entrepreneurs, a former Israeli intelligence officer, even my boyfriend's ex-roommate was friends w/ the 9/11 hijacker, Atta. (Now she dates the FBI agent that interrogated her). That's what I miss most of all. It is normal, however, just a diff kind of normal.

The cost of living in LV is extremely low. In fact, my boyfriend and I are considering buying a small starter house, which we wouldn't be able to do in any other large cities. Plus, if you live in apts they are new, nice, and well kept.

About the law school: I've read that UNLV is buying several of the top professors to teach there and they are doing an amazing job. I've talked to students that have said that they are totally satisfied w/ their choice. The only downer is that the career services office is underdeveloped. Hopefully it will be up to speed soon.

The legal community in LV is very supportive of UNLV and are willing to hire fresh lawyers out of UNLV. How it be looked outside of the area, I don't know. Like mentioned earlier, LV is growing w/ a net of 4,000 new residents per month. Demand is high for all sorts of jobs, including lawyers, so the salaries from lawyers is rising very rapidly.

Well...I've been saying too much probably. Check out this site to see what others had to say about it.

http://www.4law.net/rating/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=0a4388b1f847c40b05a7f8c6ecba380d&cmd=details&itemid=203

from what ive heard, the COL os no longer low.  its now pretty high  :(
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 01:07:02 AM »
I considered it for about a split second; basically until all my friends laughed at the prospect of me blowing through my tuition money at the craps table before 1L classes even started.  It would probably happen too :(

vegasdood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 06:10:11 PM »
It's all relative. It is still cheaper than most of the West Coast. Compared to the midwest, not so much.

I spent all of my high school living in Las Vegas (Henderson to be exact). I also applied to UNLV and was admitted w/ a full tuition scholarship. Right now I am planning on going there unless I get into USC.

What I can tell the greatest thing about LV is that you meet the most fascinating ppl there. While living and working as a lifeguard in the hotels I have met Shaq, Carmen Electra, Bill Clinton (he loves it there), many important businessmen, restauranteers, entrepreneurs, a former Israeli intelligence officer, even my boyfriend's ex-roommate was friends w/ the 9/11 hijacker, Atta. (Now she dates the FBI agent that interrogated her). That's what I miss most of all. It is normal, however, just a diff kind of normal.

The cost of living in LV is extremely low. In fact, my boyfriend and I are considering buying a small starter house, which we wouldn't be able to do in any other large cities. Plus, if you live in apts they are new, nice, and well kept.

About the law school: I've read that UNLV is buying several of the top professors to teach there and they are doing an amazing job. I've talked to students that have said that they are totally satisfied w/ their choice. The only downer is that the career services office is underdeveloped. Hopefully it will be up to speed soon.

The legal community in LV is very supportive of UNLV and are willing to hire fresh lawyers out of UNLV. How it be looked outside of the area, I don't know. Like mentioned earlier, LV is growing w/ a net of 4,000 new residents per month. Demand is high for all sorts of jobs, including lawyers, so the salaries from lawyers is rising very rapidly.

Well...I've been saying too much probably. Check out this site to see what others had to say about it.

http://www.4law.net/rating/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=0a4388b1f847c40b05a7f8c6ecba380d&cmd=details&itemid=203

from what ive heard, the COL os no longer low.  its now pretty high  :(

Coris119

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 07:43:45 PM »
It's all relative. It is still cheaper than most of the West Coast. Compared to the midwest, not so much.

I agree! It's one of the factors that I considered in accepting here. It is the least expensive school, both public and private, in terms of tuition, on the west coast. The COL in general is not cheap, but reasonable, and much more reasonable than where I currently live (Bay Area/SF).