Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job Placement out of state  (Read 443 times)

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
Job Placement out of state
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:43:35 AM »
Hi all,

I know it is usually difficult to find a job (well paying) outside the state you graduate from, but seriously speaking how difficult is it? I know most of the data is from the schools and where most of the graduates went off to work but doesnt it make sense that those people chose to work in-state? I am hoping to settle in California just because of family and all but I would love to get out of California for a few years while in school. Schools with national reputations aside (i.e HYS) if I go to a school such as Loyola-Chicago, Chicago-Kent, U. of Pitt, or Cardozo what is the likelyhood that I can be recruited or find a job (well paying) in California, preferably Los Angeles area?

If anyone has any info about this or has heard anything please let me know. I love CA, but I would really like to get out for a few years.

Peace
shine on

Stroopwafel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Job Placement out of state
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 04:55:30 AM »
Spoke with several lawyers at my cousin's wedding. He is a lawyer, his wife is a lawyer. It seemed that every other person I met was a lawyer. Open bar, so after the third huge cognac and macanudo they seemed quite pleased to be giving me some advice, suggestions, warstories, gladhanding, and businesscard passing.

So the straight dope I got from them was that you need to milk any and all connections that you have if you wish to find work outside of the Law School's area of local influence. Start knocking on doors now. Start viewing lawyers as potential future collegues.

If you know no one, then you have to network through your LS, through LS sponsored clinics, and through summer externships more then likely in your school's region. Based on this, and with the promises of maintaining contact through out lawschool, I fully intend on heavy networking for solid internships in Cali, and WA after 1L, and 2L years. But the groundwork for some internships starts now. One summer away is nothing in the span of a career. So plan now.

Based on their encouragement, I'm going ahead with my plan on looking at law schools back East, in the Mid West (just for a change of lifestyle), as well as in Cali proper and then California/Washington internships whenever possible. Unless of course I can get into a Cali LS with good surf.

I'd start talking to as many lawyers that you know, and see what they think. See where the people in their firms went to school. Plan on taking a couple of bars. Cali as well as the state you may be going to school.

Good luck.
Rest not. Life is sweeping by; go and dare before you die. Something mighty and sublime, leave behind to conquer time.

-Goethe

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 05:10:25 AM »
Good call, I have a few lawyers that I can talk to and some that are family friends. Hope I can do something productive while I'm here, do some creative networking
shine on

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 04:18:45 PM »
I am also interested in doing this. I would like to maybe go to school in FL or CA and then have the opportunity to choose between the states even if I don't go to school in the state I would like to practice in. I have heard it is tough.

It seems pretty fair though. I mean, if you want to work for an LA firm, what are the chances they would hire a Florida State grad over say a Loyola grad? They probably already have a bunch of Loyola grads in their firm, so they know what to expect. It would seem risky for them to take the FSU grad because they probably haven't had any exposure to the kind of work their grads produce. Also, how do you expect to get a job right out of school in a difference state? Most law school career center's etc place students in the same region because they have connections only in that specific area. They sure as hell probably won't list job openings across country.

Despite all of this, I still think it is possible even if you don't do any networking. It will probably just take a longer time than usual to find a solid job. I would suggest passing the bar in CA (if you go to law school across country) and then start looking for jobs in LA. It will probably take some time to market yourself coming from the east, but still possible with a little determination and passion. Good luck, man!

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 04:23:27 PM »
You guys are scaring me!

I want to work in Cali, but I'll chase a paycheck to NY or DC if I have to!

Do these things still apply if you're going to a decent school? 

For example U Minnesota, Emory, GWU, Wash U, BU have decent rankings, would it actually be really hard for me to find good paying work in cali?

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 05:20:01 PM »
Hopefully you can find work in Cali from those schools, but I have heard otherwise on this board...