Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I dont understand internet wireless help me out  (Read 2798 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Re: I dont understand internet wireless help me out
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 01:47:39 PM »
Here is a great chart that shows the differences:

http://www.linksys.com/edu/wirelessstandards.asp

I've been using wireless for 2 years at home and at work and have to say that in MOST cases 802.11b will be fine. Its transfer rate is 11Mb/s which is much faster than your cable modem/DSL anyway. The only reason for going G (54 Mb/s) is to increase tranfer rates on your local LAN in between computers. In other words, if you do not have a home network setup where you CONSTANLY tranfer HUGE files between the computers, go with old, reliable B. And stay away from A. Its range is terrible and has no benefits over B.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 01:51:39 PM »
Stay away from centrino for the time being.  Any internal wireless cards have been very bad at receiving signals.  my sony and my latest IBM are centrino and i still use a pcmcia card for the wireless connection instead of the onboard wireless adapter.  although it is a great idea, i wouldnt count on it for at least another 6 months-1 year.

Have you only used the crappy intel wireless adapter as far as internals go.  I assume you have, since it was a full "centrino" instead of pentium m.  I'm just curious, becuase I've ehard that the intel wireless chip is horrible, but that in general mini pci adapters are better in every way than pcmia cards. . .
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 01:56:38 PM »
I have friends with both the Intel 2100 and the Dell TrueMobile 1300. The concensus is that the Intel chips are horrible. They constantly drop the connection and have short range. The True Mobile cards have stable connections and have MUCH better range. If you are buying a DELL, it is definitely worth the $19 to upgrade to the TM. Plus, it's B/G versus the 2100's B only.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 02:11:21 PM »
Have you only used the crappy intel wireless adapter as far as internals go.  I assume you have, since it was a full "centrino" instead of pentium m.  I'm just curious, becuase I've ehard that the intel wireless chip is horrible, but that in general mini pci adapters are better in every way than pcmia cards. . .

i think all internals/mini pci are pretty much crappy, intel or otherwise.  to correct myself, the sony i have is a centrino, but the IBM is a pentium M.  as far as wireless connectivity, both are very much inferior to using my 802.11g pcmcia card.  maybe ive just had bad experiences with them...might be just me...but the internals seem to drop connections like bad habits.  and even though esthetically it looks like a tumor on the laptop, ill probably stick with them until onboard wireless tech proves to be better ;D
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

nathanielmark

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2004, 02:11:38 PM »
  g is the fastest, most expensive, and least common. 

I would have to disagree.  G is compatible with B, and is actually gaining market share.  A is entirely incompatible with B, has VERY short range, and has almost completely disappeared from the marketplace.

dont take my word for it, check your local retailer and see how much A stuff is for sale.  id be surprised if you found any of it.  G on the other hand, is quickly dropping in price, and since it has all the strengths range and compatibility of B, while offering additional speed at the G band, could easily overtake B in sales in the coming years.

either way, G offers very limited improvement over B for practical purposes.  so most people would suffice with B.  i would advise keeping away from A though.

I am pretty sure A and G also perform at relatively similar speeds.

nathanielmark

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2004, 02:50:08 PM »
do most law classrooms have seating outlets you can hook laptops up to?  Or do you need to have adequete battery life?

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2004, 03:23:01 PM »
I'm looking at the IBM ThinkPad X-series (2.7-3.2 lbs) and great battery life.  It's only 12" but I've heard good things about the keyboards.  I'm thinking about waiting until they get 802.11g which I'm guessing will be standard fare by the end of the summer...the tech people at my school said that they are upgrading to "g" and that the whole law complex is going to be wireless (to the point of even removing the ethernet jacks) by the time I get there.  I guess I'm going to spend $1500 - $2000.  Any thoughts?

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2004, 03:27:04 PM »
An X30 or X40?  I don't even know if the X40 is available outside japan yet, but I don't really follow notebooks that closely.  By all accounts, the X series are wonderful machines, and you can't go wrong with one.  Just realize than on exam days you may have to remember to bring your media slice with you, for the cdrw/dvd drive. 
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

holidayinspain

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 03:34:42 PM »
damn, i just wrote a really long and detailed post, and i got timed out. grrr....

anyway, in a nutshell, my school is "technologically challenged" and even we have wireless internet (which is totally different from power outlets, i think that is what someone was asking earlier or something). as for power, i just got a new VAIO and even with that i have to plug in after about 4 hours. there are outlets available, most classrooms have the tables/desks set up so that they are wired and there are plugs to go with each seat. and mind you, i go to a poor 4th tier and even we have this stuff....
hs.

1L2004

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 02:57:31 AM »
An X30 or X40?  I don't even know if the X40 is available outside japan yet, but I don't really follow notebooks that closely.  By all accounts, the X series are wonderful machines, and you can't go wrong with one.  Just realize than on exam days you may have to remember to bring your media slice with you, for the cdrw/dvd drive. 

X40 (available on IBM.com)...any idea of how big those media slices are?  I figure law school is a good excuse to buy the smallest, fastest piece of tech I can get my hands on and I tend to associate the simple and sturdy ThinkPad with a good work ethic (not exactly what's going on with my Apple iBook)