Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances??  (Read 934 times)

Lawschool2005

What are my chances??
« on: April 11, 2004, 01:15:09 PM »
I am applying to law School next year. I have a 3.4 gpa and a 167 lsat. I am a urm. I worked 40 hours a week through every year of college and I have lived in 3 countrys. I want to attend the best school that I can. What schools do you think I can get into?? I don't care where I live at all. Please tell me what the best schools you think I coukd get into are??

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: What are my chances??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 01:49:24 PM »
YOu're a URM?  You can go almost anywhere with those numbers then.  Apply to the top 14, and a couple of lower schools as safeties, but you'll make a top 10, I'd imagine.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 02:19:17 PM »
Agreed.  Those numbers are good enough to get you into a top 20 alone, but with your status as an URM, you can break into the top 10.  The ones who are well-known for utilizing affirmative action are NYU, U of Mich, and Cornell. Good luck!

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 02:49:33 PM »
This is all presuming, of course, that you actually are a URM. I only say that because some people on this forum have been confused before. The only things that count for URM are Black, Hispanic, or Native American.

Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. are NOT under-represented. While they are minorities, the representation in higher education and law schools is high enough that no additional weight is given to their candidacies.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 03:00:47 PM »
Doesn't even Hispanic depend on where you are going to school?

Lawschool2005

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 03:32:47 PM »
I am mainly descended from African american, My family has traced heritage back to the Yoruba Tribe in Nigeria, Africa.

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 04:05:44 PM »
I think it depends on which schools you are applying to as well.  I am Chinese-American; not typically considered to be URM.  However, I was waitlisted at Vandy with a 3.53 and a 161 LSAT.  Granted, it's not an admit, but I would have been outright rejected had I been white.  The fact that Vandy is in the Deep South, where everyone is Black and White made this possible.