Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Learning law by reading books?  (Read 833 times)

alexbp

• View Profile
    • Email
Learning law by reading books?
« on: November 18, 2004, 04:45:30 PM »
I know this is pretty out there, but isn't it possible to learn the law simply by reading all of the books 1L's have, i.e contracts, torts, constitution? I understand it's not legally possible to become a lawyer simply by reading books and learning the law that way, but it would essentially be the same if one were to go this route, right? I mean, if someone way say a CPA - coudn't that person advice his/her clients on their legal issues by applying all the knowledge they gained through reading the 1L books? Wouldn't this essentially be a lawyer's job (to advice and help his/her clients on legal issues)?

waxman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
Re: Learning law by reading books?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 09:23:05 PM »
That's how Abraham Lincoln did it.
Accepted: Franklin Pierce, Hamline, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Pace, St. Louis, Valpo, Vermont
Rejected: GULC,GW

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 09:46:09 PM »
Yes- you can learn the law by reading the books. My understanding is that this is the great secret of law school; Profs really don't tell you anything of practical value. You teach yourself the law.

No- you can't advise people about their legal rights if you're not a lawyer. Paralegals get into trouble for this all the time. They actually can be sued for legal malpractice.

kidblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 10:12:45 PM »
I thought that you could read your way into the law in some states. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that in California you can become a lawyer if you pass the bar (no law school required). Or maybe that was Nevada. Or maybe I'm full of it. Anybody know?

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 10:31:49 PM »
isn't that what he did in catch me if u can?  if in a movie it has to be true right? ;)

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 10:47:36 PM »
Wow. That's really cool if that is true. That means if you pass the bar, you can start your own legal practice. You can make probably at least some decent money after a while, or it could just be a little part-time ad-based job to earn some extra cash!

dr_draino

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 10:51:21 PM »
Wow. That's really cool if that is true. That means if you pass the bar, you can start your own legal practice. You can make probably at least some decent money after a while, or it could just be a little part-time ad-based job to earn some extra cash!

Yeah, cause folks are beatin' down the doors of law offices of people that never went to law school... 

TLFKARG

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 10:57:04 PM »

Yeah, cause folks are beatin' down the doors of law offices of people that never went to law school... 
You know it!  Hell, why am I wasting my time and money again?  Oh, wait, because I am going to be able to actually get a job and clients. What a concept!

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 11:27:00 PM »
The actual reasons why law school education costs so much money is that ABA enforces rules to exclude people from practicing law without the proper creditenials.  The require law schools to spend millions of  dollars a year on law library.  Imagine if you could take state bar exam without having to pay $100k and spend 3 yrs of your life in law school.  How much fun life would be.   ;)
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 11:54:01 PM »

You know it!  Hell, why am I wasting my time and money again?  Oh, wait, because I am going to be able to actually get a job and clients. What a concept!

Sorry, but only draino is allowed to make sarcastic comments about my posts. Go away.