Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: school for 165 LSAT?  (Read 745 times)

kd

• View Profile
    • Email
school for 165 LSAT?
« on: November 18, 2004, 02:57:28 PM »
So a 165 puts you a little under all the best schools and a little over all the average --where to apply now?
What do you all think?
3.8/165

waxman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
Re: school for 165 LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 02:59:47 PM »
I would be looking in the 7-20 range.
Accepted: Franklin Pierce, Hamline, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Pace, St. Louis, Valpo, Vermont
Rejected: GULC,GW

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 03:23:51 PM »
It also depends on your GPA...

waxman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 03:25:49 PM »
It also depends on your GPA...

kd's signature says 3.8
Accepted: Franklin Pierce, Hamline, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Pace, St. Louis, Valpo, Vermont
Rejected: GULC,GW

melissamw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 03:37:03 PM »
Thanks- sorry I missed it :)

I think 7-14 is a reach, but possible depending on extras.  14-20 is a good shot.

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 05:39:36 PM »
Aim for 15-30 as your targets, and 7-14 as big reaches.  I have similar numbers, 3.69/165 and that's what I'm doing.  More specifically, I'm applying to Michigan/Duke/Georgetown/Northwester (fee waiver for them) in the 7-14 range since they seemed to be my best shot.  I don't really expect to get in though
You can see my numbers at LSN

Negotiator

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 06:17:44 PM »
You and I are in almost exactly the same situation, so I'll tell you what I did for better or worse.

1 Ultra Reach  - Chicago
4 Reaches - Michigan, Penn, Cornell, Northwestern (waiver)
4 "Solid" Targets - Illinois (resident), Iowa, Notre Dame (waiver), WUSTL
0 Safeties

I'm sure everyone will tell you that you need to apply to a safety, but our scores really jam us in the middle. I would not be happy going anywhere lower than those (or going to ND period), and 93rd percentile is obviously very high, and provides a chance to get you into any of those schools. My advisor, who wrote one of the How To Get In books I see referenced, told me not to settle for anything less than WUSTL, and I think he's right. I guess it's your choice really, if you seek better and hope to get in, or go slightly lower and opt for security and scholarship. I would apply to the best school you can get in-state tuition at and for the market you might want to practice in. I am lucky that Illinois is one of the best public state schools and places well in my desired market, so you might not be in such a nice little boat.

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 06:46:04 PM »
I got a 164. My GPA is lower than yours by .2+, but here are the schools I've narrowed it down to. I'm applying to a lot of them because I'm poor enough to get fee waivers and I think it's worth the work to fill out the extra apps. I think that last poster was right about being stuck in the middle. Do I want to apply to a third tier school so I can have surer safeties? No.

Boston U
Cornell
G Wash
Georgetown
U Texas
Hastings
USC
UC Davis
UCLA
U Georgia
U Illinois
U Iowa
U Minnesota
U North Caroina
U Virginia
U Wisconsin
William & Mary

T-Money

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 07:24:27 PM »
With a 3.8/165 I think I would shoot for Boalt,  you'd have a pretty decent shot I'd bet. Also apply to others you like in the 7-maybe 30 range as suggested.