Law School Discussion

Southern schools, any info?

ch537

Southern schools, any info?
« on: November 18, 2004, 10:39:23 AM »
Hey,  Im applying to Vandi, Georgia, alabama, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Tulane.   Does anyone have any info about these schools, other than the US rankings.  Anything about the social life in particular?  or the type of people that go there?   chris

Re: Southern schools, any info?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 11:53:14 AM »
I don't have much info on the social aspect, but I was accepted to UK on a merit scholarship. I'm out of state, and I'll have to only pay the in-state rates to go there. It's the best law school in the state and they supposedly place pretty well in KY. I don't know how they place everywhere else. I want to get back to that part of the country (I hear Lexington is pretty nice)

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 12:22:22 PM »
I went to Tennessee and spent a few weekends in Nashville, which is a cool city. Don't know much about the campus or Vandy, but there is lots to do in Nashville. As for UK, Lexington is a town I really like, and it's a pretty area. The bars there close up early (1am-ish), but you can't beat going out to the horse track on a weekend.  :) I've visited Athens, GA for a football game and loved all the little bars they have on campus. Athens seemed like a cool place, but just like everything down south it falls on the conservative and redneck side. I loved living down south...good luck to you!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 03:52:41 PM »
Jackson Smith,

I'll be starting at UK in the Fall (I also received a merit scholarship, but in-state). I live in Lexington now. I've visited the law school several times and work with attorneys who are UK grads.

You are right about UK being the best law school in the state, and UK grads do place very well in Kentucky. And I think that Lexington is very nice, although I'm a bit biased since I'm from Kentucky and have lived in Lexington for 10 years!

If you have any specific questions about either Lexington or UK, let me know.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 05:08:04 PM »
UNC would be a great place to go to school---in fact Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, is really a great area to live in general.  Chapel HIll is all about the school, which has a great campus...the rest of the area is suburban.  Plenty of great places to go out very near the campus...and I found that there lots of young (24-35 y. olds) in that area working in the triangle..makes for a fun social scene.   

Hope this helps.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 05:31:11 PM »
I've visited Athens, GA for a football game and loved all the little bars they have on campus. Athens seemed like a cool place, but just like everything down south it falls on the conservative and redneck side.

Athens is extremely liberal.  The state of Georgia, which tends to be reflected in the undergrad student body (but not grad or law school), is conservative, but Athens-Clarke County is overwhelmingly liberal.  That said, it's a place people of all political affiliations can enjoy.  There's a wonderful music scene that has given birth to REM and the B-52s among others, wonderful restaurants of all types, and, of course, great sports.  The downtown nightlife is sometimes dominated by undergrads, but there are enough "grad student" bars and music venues to keep you busy and away from the frat/sorority scene, if that's what you want.  The cost of living is cheap, and the town is beautiful!  Good luck with your decisions!