Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How skeptical are you about employment@grad statistics?

Very skeptical
Not at all skeptical

Author Topic: How skeptical are you about employment@grad statistics?  (Read 1044 times)

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How skeptical are you about employment@grad statistics?
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:30:16 PM »
I was reading the webpage of the leiter rankings and it went on about how schools can and have manipulated the employment @ graduation statistics to improve their rankings..

How skeptical are you guys about this?  To you just take these statistics with a grain of salt now?

I used to think of them as the best indicator of a school's career services department, but now I'm not quite sure.

For example, UNC has an employed@grad rate of 70% .. kind of surprising given it's ranking and difficulty to get into.  Meanwhile, Cardozo has an employed@grad rate of 78%, and American has 85%!  Fordham?  85%...

Anyway, what are your thoughts on these numbers?  Do you completely ignore them or what?  Also, doesn't a high % of grads that are employed in private practice, etc, make it difficult for schools to manipulate these stats?

lexylit

Re: How skeptical are you about employment@grad statistics?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:42:35 PM »
yup, i ignore them. when i want to know my prospective employability out of various schools i look to

a) the people at my firm: whom they're dying to hire, whom they might be willing to consider hiring, and whom they wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole

b) friends and vague acquaintances at various schools or who have recently graduated from them, re: their experiences getting hired

granted, this would be more challenging for people who aren't surrounded by lawyers, friends with lawyers, and related to lawyers. but it isn't impossible.