Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone visited Pitt, Temple or Hofstra  (Read 1942 times)

sita

• AOL Instant Messenger - sita25p
    • View Profile
Has anyone visited Pitt, Temple or Hofstra
« on: November 18, 2004, 09:37:20 AM »
I don't know if I will be able to make it to all schools and would greatly appreciate it if anyone will share their experiences with these schools.

gidro

Re: Has anyone visited Pitt, Temple or Hofstra
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 10:19:24 AM »
I am also hearing about Temple if anyone visits...

echo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:12:54 AM »
I visited Temple for an admissions session a few weeks ago. The assistant admissions officer was reallynice and helpful. We got a tour of the building - which was pretty nice althohgh the campus isnt in the best neighborhood and then got to sit in on a class. the prof seemed great - very dynamic and funny. overall temple was great.

gidro

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 01:38:06 PM »
Thanks for the info.  When you say "the campus isn't in the best neighborhood..." does that mean the buildings are run down kind of neighborhood or does that mean I am going to need a concealed weapons permit for my own safety kind of neighborhood?

Lys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 04:31:21 PM »
I visited Temple last month. Was really impressed.
Everyone always says that about the neighborhood, but it didn't seem too bad to me.
(but maybe that's because I've been living in New Orleans for 4 years)

I haven't been inside Hofstra's law school, but I've been on the campus numerous times (originally from Long Island and used their main library many times in high school.  I also worked at a law firm like 5 minutes away for 2 summers) It's a nice campus.

echo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 07:26:33 PM »
when i said temple wasnt in the best neighborhood, what i meant is that the area around the school is pretty run down. its not as bad as other parts of philadelphia though(temple medical school is in a much worse area). To be honest, I really like Temple. Broad St - where campus is - is a nice, well lit street and there are plenty of stores and restaurants around plus all of temple undergrad. i just wouldnt go wandering into the rest of the neighborhood after dark is all.
i actually spend a lot of time in philadelphia and love the city. center city is so much fun and so are south street and manayunk. its a good place to be, and rent is not high which is a plus.

mfitz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 09:14:06 AM »
What about Hofstra?
Accepts: Akron, Washburn, Hamline, Valpo, Mercer, Baylor (Sum), Arkansas, Ohio Northern, Tennessee,  Ave Maria, U of St. Thomas, St. Louis, S Carolina, Hofstra, U Florida.
Rejects: George Mason, UGA (blah).

I'm going to Tennessee!!!!!!

slp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 01:01:34 PM »
i hope this is somewhat useful info.  i lived in new york and commuted to Hofstra for two years, then transferred and finished my degree at Temple where I lived on campus (Broad St). 
Coming from the suburbs, Hofstra was a nice enough campus bu u need a car.  there are buses but the car is a better way to get around.  the surrounding neighborhood is not so great but it isnt bad, either.  the grounds are beautiful andclean.  this was in the early 90's. 
Temple is located in one fo the rough inner city parts of Philly.  I knew several people who had things stolen, held up on campus, etc.  when we had firedrills in the undergrad dorms of Hardwick Hall and Johnson Hall, bums would come up to us and ask us for money at 2 in the morning!!!
two good friends of mine are temple law alums.  one of them graduated recently and said that she  thought that she received a good education and passed the NY bar. 
I liked Philly in that u could get away without a car if u wanted to.  as long as u were ok with taxis, buses and teh subway.  in undergrad, i used the subway all the time. 
living off campus and commuting is one option if u choose to live off campus.  culturally speaking, i enjoyed the atmosphere despite having to learn how to be "street smart" to survive there.  I am a female and I rarely went off campus alone at night.  i never had any problems.  if u watch this season's MTV "Real World", they show the nicer parts of Downtown and waterfront areas.  North Philly isnt like that but the city is so small that u can get to the downtown area in minutes even by train.  Honestly if u are not afraid of people from different backgrounds and SES, u get more bang for ure buck at Temple.  A lot fo people not used to folks of color or cant adjust to city life dont do so well there.  The camus is not gated-u can walk right n the campus off the street at any time.  At night i have seen bums sleeping on the campus near Weis Hall.  This is my info from 1992-1996.. ope this helps!

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 01:42:15 PM »
I've been to Temple, Hofstra, and Pitt (and applied to all three).  My impressions:

Hofstra:  I can't understand why people say this is a pretty campus.  Perhaps only people from Long Island think it's nice.  I found it to gray and awful.  The law school itself is also pretty bad.  And Hempstead (the city that Hofstra's in) is awful.
That said, there are some nice areas within a short drive of Hofstra.  But the cost of living is pretty bad. 

Temple: I liked Temple.  I didn't find the area to be quite as bad or as dangerous as many people on LSD describe.  But then, I visited in the daytime, and I'm a 180 lb male.  In any case, I really liked Temple.  Their law school still is a lot of poured concrete, but with the renovation recently it's a lot of very nice looking poured concrete. 
So I was impressed with Temple.  It's a heck of a unique area of the city -- you should visit.  I have generally gotten the impression that you'll either love it or hate it. 
And Philly is pretty cool.

Pittsburgh: I was blown away by Pittsburgh.  But not so much the university area or the law school (although the law school is quite nice -- has a recently renovated library, and the university area seems fun).  What shocked me was the city of Pittsburgh itself.  There are more fun, quaint shopping strips and unique neighborhoods than I can count.  The cost of living is as low as it gets for a city anywhere close to as big.  If you visit, see if you can get somebody from Pittburgh to show you around the city.  Visiting the strip district and shadyside is a must.  You'll be shocked, if you've not been to pitt, about how cool the city is.