Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DO's and DONT's Reccomendations for next year  (Read 1685 times)

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: DO's and DONT's Reccomendations for next year
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 07:13:25 PM »
do: apply as early as u can, even if its september...take the lsat LATEST in october
dont: freak out in oct, take the Dec. lsat...do real well, but don't get into half the schools you applied to because you sent your crap in so late (me)

do: apply to schools ur a shoe in too, a lot of them will give you money
don't: apply to super reach schools, waste of 70 bucks

do: go to the school you get in that makes you happiest
don't: go to the school you in that has a good rep but REALLY makes you wanna kill urself

there :)

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 12:51:58 PM »
I think also the biggest mistake I made is taking the LSAT late.  I thought I'd score in the 150s, which is why I applied to the schools I did.  Arizona State was my reach.  I ended up scoring 165, and ASU was one of the 1st schools to accept me.  Thus I think for many reasons, LSATs need to be taken early, so you can get that score in and base the schools you should apply to based on your actual score, instead of what you think you'll score.  I was dumb in that regard, but I'm also very happy with the schools i've gotten into so far

Yep, same here I would've taken the LSAT earlier. Because of that blizzard in Dec, all my apps were delayed (I'm know a lot of folks were in the same boat with me on that one). I was planning on knocking out all my apps the day after the LSAT. Since my score was slightly higher than expected too, I rushed out a bunch of apps to targets in January. I really wonder if applying early actually makes a difference for admissions purposes. I know if I had more time, I would have done more research and picked more appropriate schools though, and would have applied to them earlier.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 02:29:04 PM »
DON'T

1) Think that you are a "shoe-in" just because your numbers are at or above the school's median
2) Hold onto offers of admission if you are sure you do not want to go to that school; other people are waiting for your spot!
3) Call public schools to inquire about the status of your application; they will bite your head off.

I know someone who got accepted to Rutgers-Newark with $5K/year and sent in her deposit. She has since heard from GW and plans to go there but isn't calling RU to tell them to release her seat. This is definately a rude and heartless thing to do. Others are waiting on that seat...
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 08:20:10 PM »
That's so inconsiderate.  You should warn her about Karma!