Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DO's and DONT's Reccomendations for next year  (Read 1715 times)

scolomon

DO's and DONT's Reccomendations for next year
« on: April 10, 2004, 05:09:05 PM »
Well based on how I was treated by various schools I would say some are very helpful and some are just frustrating to deal with

I reccomend applying to Hofstra
I reccomend not applying to Northeastern

from past correspondances and applications sent into both

How do you guys feel about the schools you applied to and how you were treated throughout the admissions process?

Speedracer

• View Profile
Re: DO's and DONT's Reccomendations for next year
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 05:14:59 PM »
UCLA amazingly nice once you get in, they send you a seperate phone number to call.  However before you get in, you get directed in circles.
Vanderbilt nicest school ever when it comes to admission staff

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 05:20:53 PM »
Even though I decided against going there (they didn't offer me any scholarship dollars), I must admit 'Dozo's admissions office was great. Always VERY polite and the admission phone call was a nice touch.

I thought Brooklyn's sending me a scholarship letter near the end of the cycle despite being admitted a month before was silly, since I'd already started to look for housing in Queens. If they had sent it earlier, there would have been a strong possibility I would have attended there. That was the big LS "don't" this cycle.

On my part, I would've applied to Wisc, Iowa, Minn, IUIC and UCLA, UNC and BU instead of W&M, GW, Fordham and BC. Considering Wisc. and IUIC sent me fee waivers, I'm still beating myself up over not having applied. I think I would have gotten in, and probably have gotten money, since I'd probably qualify as being "geographically diverse". I think I completely screwed myself by applying to most of the wrong schools.

IMHO, Fordham had the worst admissions office this cycle. Never even got a complete letter and their status check was updated really infrequently.

martinibar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 05:23:54 PM »
I recommend the following:

Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Fordham, UC Davis, Loyola

Do not recommend:
Santa Clara, UC Hastings, Golden Gate,

My recommend list is comprised mostly of my reach schools except for Loyola. My do not recommend list was made up of my safety schools. It was odd this year. I got treated really well by my reach schools and I got even got into some of them even, but my safety schools treated me badly and jerked me around. Like they were doing me a huge favor by acknowledging my existence.

chooster99

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.53 GPA UC Irvine/161 LSAT...headed for Loyola
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chooster99
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 12:55:03 AM »
DO:

1) Take the LSAT AT LEAST by October.
2) Take advantage of unsolicited fee waivers by repudable schools, even if you are almost positive you do not want to attend the institution; you may change your mind.
3) Call private schools to inquire about the status of your application; they seem more than happy to help you.

DON'T

1) Think that you are a "shoe-in" just because your numbers are at or above the school's median
2) Hold onto offers of admission if you are sure you do not want to go to that school; other people are waiting for your spot!
3) Call public schools to inquire about the status of your application; they will bite your head off.

Hope this helps, good luck to everyone!

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 01:04:35 AM »
Well in terms of who has treated me well (do) and not well (don't), I'd say the following...

Do: McGeorge, Arizona State, Temple, Minnesota, Cal Western

Don't: U San Diego, Whittier, Thomas Jefferson, Southwestern, Santa Clara

Southwestern wasn't that rude, but if I knew they grade on such a vicious curve and seek to weed out a third of their class, I would not have applied.  Considering they are 4th tiers, Whittier and TJSL have been ridiculous, taking a week or more to respond to email, repeatedly passing me around when I call them, and very rude and condescending people.  U San Diego was the same way, but what really bothers me is they continue to take their time to respond, and treat me in a rude fashion even after I've gotten in.  Not doing a good job of selling their school.
I don't know what the deal with Santa Clara is.  They think they are the best school in the Bay Area or something.

Conversely, Arizona State and McGeorge have been nothing other than excellent.  If I had not been accepted to ASU and USD (which I'm still considering despite their admin people) I would be headed to McGeorge.

thechoson

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 01:08:31 AM »
I think also the biggest mistake I made is taking the LSAT late.  I thought I'd score in the 150s, which is why I applied to the schools I did.  Arizona State was my reach.  I ended up scoring 165, and ASU was one of the 1st schools to accept me.  Thus I think for many reasons, LSATs need to be taken early, so you can get that score in and base the schools you should apply to based on your actual score, instead of what you think you'll score.  I was dumb in that regard, but I'm also very happy with the schools i've gotten into so far

Mimic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 02:41:42 PM »
Scolomon: you had a good application experience at Hofstra? They recruited me like crazy, and then never responded to emails that I sent with application questions. Did you contact them by email at all? I finally just gave up on them - mostly because I was never that interested in moving to the east coast.

scolomon

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 03:03:44 PM »
I don't recall really talking to them through email but when I called their admissions office I was able to speak directly to very friendly and helpful admissions officers.
Hofstra sent me a tshirt when i was accepted, before even saying I wanted to go there.  They sent me a happy holidays card, constantly sending me other useful info in the mail.
They did a lot, however I did recieve their honors scholarship and that may explain it,they may have just wanted me badly.
I don't know how they treat the regular pool of applicants

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 04:28:51 PM »
My only experience is with University of Denver and University of Colorado.

DU - Make sure if you apply there that you give them an email address you check frequently.  They email stuff all the time.  I didn't talk with them much "during" the admissions process, mostly just after I was accepted.  Their staff is very nice and pretty helpful.

CU - Again, I didn't talk to them "during" the admissions process.  However, I have spoken with them since being admitted.  Their staff has been extremely helpful.  The financial aid lady is absolutely wonderful from everything I've experienced so far.  I've also spoken with several professors there and they are very nice and were more than willing to answer all of my questions.