Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to buy...  (Read 503 times)

66scorer

• View Profile
What to buy...
« on: November 18, 2004, 08:44:55 AM »
I am on the verge of purchasing my first prep books in preparation for the June (or October) LSAT.

I guess I should buy the PowerScore LR and LG Bibles since so many on this board profess their superiority.  Is there an RC book that you can recommend?

Also, I have seen books that say they have 3 tests AND explanations and books of 10 tests but without explanations. Is this right?  Or do all the test preps have explanations?  I assume the explanations are an important study aid.

Thank you in advance
February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy

dr_draino

Re: What to buy...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 09:06:26 AM »
I am on the verge of purchasing my first prep books in preparation for the June (or October) LSAT.

I guess I should buy the PowerScore LR and LG Bibles since so many on this board profess their superiority.  Is there an RC book that you can recommend?

Also, I have seen books that say they have 3 tests AND explanations and books of 10 tests but without explanations. Is this right?  Or do all the test preps have explanations?  I assume the explanations are an important study aid.

Thank you in advance

No good RC book...if you don't already read a newspaper on a regular basis, start.  Particularly editorials (NYTimes is easy to have emailed to you each morning).  Reading critically on a regular basis is about the only thing you can do to prep for RC.

The 10 don't have explanations.  While you might want explanations for the first one or two you take, after that you can usually understand why the correct answer was correct and the incorrect answer was incorrect...if not, a quick post on here gives more info and opinions than you cared for!

66scorer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:51:47 AM »
So..."the plan":

1. LG Bible
2. LR Bible
3. "The Nation" - I already subscribe
4. NY Times online - I already receive
5. A 3 tests booklet with explanations to start
6. A 10 tests booklet sans explanations
7. Watch my 3 handicap go up. :'(

Thanks much! :)
February '05 LSAT - 157
UGPA 3.11

"Why are we violent but not illiterate?
Because we are taught to read."
Colman McCarthy

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 08:40:08 AM »
Get the Cracking the LSAT book from Princeton Review...it has really good RC prep.

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 03:27:50 PM »
Actually when I asked for extra reading comp help, my princeton review teacher told me "I wish I could reccommend our 'cracking book' but it's it's the reason I'm writing 'this one'"

By 'this one' he was referring to the book he is currently writing for the princeton review "LSAT Workout" ..  unfortunately it won't be available for another year or so.. not nearly enough to help us :(

Unless you are some weird, freak of nature, autodidact, by far the best thing you can do is get into a classroom!  And make sure you have good teachers!

If you're taking a course in NYC I can recommend one phenomenal teacher, one OK one, and one to stay away from (all princeton review)

Hocine

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 03:31:01 PM »
By the way, when you take a course, they will give you all the study material you need (in my experience 99% of people don't have time to finish the homework)

So you shouldn't have to really buy anything except a 1000+$ course