Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: did anyone NOT waive their right to see the LOR?  (Read 1817 times)

dr_draino

Re: did anyone NOT waive their right to see the LOR?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 08:57:20 AM »
I really am 90% sure that as a student, you have the right to see anything that is deemed an assesment of your ability that is in your file...freedom of information or something?  Again, I'm not certain, but pretty sure that, while you may not have a right to see everything in that file, if it is an assesment that you have not waived the right to see (grades, LORs etc.) then you have the right to see it.

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 09:12:37 AM »
read the explanation on Columbia's dean's certification form.  If i'm not on crack, i think that was where it was most clearly explained.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 08:31:33 PM »
read the explanation on Columbia's dean's certification form.  If i'm not on crack, i think that was where it was most clearly explained.

cool, thanks.  i'll do that when i get home.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »
Kind of a side note: The whole waiving thing is kind of useless. It occurred to me very early on how to beat it.

Simply find one of the schools that wants you to use their form, and that allows you to send the letters in with the app, signed across the flap by the writer (there's a few; I think Boston University, but I'm not sure. I've looked at so many apps that it's all jumbled together). Make sure that the school you select is NOT one you're actually interested in going to.

Print out that app, and explain to your letter writer that you need that one back because of that school's rules, but it's safe because it's signed across the flap.

Open the one that you got back. If you don't like what you see, don't use that letter. It'l fool-proof; it's not like your letter-writer can find out that you didn't apply at school <x>.

I donít condone this method, and I didnít use it myself. But if you really want to see what your letter-writers said, itís not an obstacle, assuming you plan ahead.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

Amrita

• AOL Instant Messenger - thryinpractice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 10:33:23 AM »
it's all a blur, but i'm pretty sure that i forgot to sign the paper that i gave to my professor which waived my right... plus, he fowarded me the letter after he had mailed it, so i did read his glowing praises... i guess ultimately it was honest.  he sent it in before i got a chance to fix it, but i don't think it's a big deal regardless.  one of the schools i'm applying to states "The Committee does not place additional weight on letters to which you have waived your right of access." so, whatever.

also, lsac does not post the letter for viewing regardless of whether or not you waived your right. 
"You are entering a world of pain."
-Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski-

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 12:46:43 PM »
thanks for the answer, amrita!

read the explanation on Columbia's dean's certification form. If i'm not on crack, i think that was where it was most clearly explained.

i did look at that last night, and it clearly explained that you're waiving your rights forever and ever and ever.

the more you know ::cue cute music and flying star::
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 10:10:42 PM »
I certainly wanted to NOT waive my right.  I'm older, I want to see what they said.  However, it was pointed out to me that the form I signed and sent to the recommender had only one place for me to sign.  If I didn't sign it, it wouldn'tt be processed.  If I did sign it, I waived my rights.  I didn't even read it close enough....I was looking for a box or something blatant that shows I am not waiving my right.  This is quite embarrassing since my lawyer recommender wants to focus on my integrity, yet I asked him for a copy without even knowing I waived it.  With that particular form, you must waive, or no processing by LSAC.

They are the thorn in my butt as I slide down the bannister leading to hell. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2004, 07:46:43 PM »
okay mobell, since you didn't waive it, could you please answer my original questions?  can you see the letter ON LSAC?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2004, 09:06:21 PM »
okay mobell, since you didn't waive it, could you please answer my original questions? can you see the letter ON LSAC?

Sorry, my bad.  Nope, you can't see it on LSAC report.  I think the idea is this: LSAC will not be showing you your letter either way.  But if you make an official request to see it, schools and possibly LSAC has to show them to you.

cool, thanks!

i love the line under your pic about having lunch at the famine museum  :D

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 09:50:57 PM »
Ha, yeah lunch at the famine museum was weird.  It was a huge multi-course lunch that cost an arm and a leg.  And no one who works there seems to realize how oxymoronic that is... :D

did you take it upon yourself to point it out to them?  cuz i would have.