Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: did anyone NOT waive their right to see the LOR?  (Read 1884 times)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
did anyone NOT waive their right to see the LOR?
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:16:13 AM »
first off, i did waive my right and i think that everyone should.  but is there anyone that did NOT waive their right to see their LOR?  i was just discussing with another LSDer about this: if you don't waive your right to the LOR, can you see the actual letter on LSAC?

and i don't know whether anyone knows this: i know in general you're allowed to see your LORs once you're actually attending the school.  when you waive your rights to the letter, are you no longer allowed to see the letter EVER (my guess), or are you not allowed to see the letter during the application period (other LSDer's guess)?

if you answer the second question, please offer insight about how you know.

thanks!
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

NYKnicks

Re: did anyone NOT waive their right to see the LOR?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 01:24:38 AM »
Ok i will answer the second question, but take it with a grain of salt because I got this answer from my uncle who's the dean of a graduate school, not a law school. I had this whole talk with him about LOR's and all that stuff a few monthes ago and he said if you waive it, that means its final, you never get to see it again. Still though, this is not specifically for a law school LOR, but I can't imagine it being too different.

inthesun

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 01:27:22 AM »
I like how you're give the option to waive your right.  If you are serious about law school, is there really any option other than waiving your right?

dr_draino

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 01:30:23 AM »
This is the right that you are waiving:

A student has the right to see anything that is in his/her academic file.  When you waive your right on the LOR it is saying "The school is now no longer obligated to show me this letter even though its part of my file".  It doesn't mean that you are forbidden from ever seeing it, it means that the school is not obligated to show it to you if you ask to see it.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure about that.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 01:31:02 AM »
unless you have a LOR that actually, for real, is a great LOR, i'm not too sure it matters either way.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 01:34:25 AM »

A student has the right to see anything that is in his/her academic file.  When you waive your right on the LOR it is saying "The school is now no longer obligated to show me this letter even though its part of my file".  It doesn't mean that you are forbidden from ever seeing it, it means that the school is not obligated to show it to you if you ask to see it.

so the professor could show it to you of course, of his/her own volition, but the school also could show it to you of their own volition?

i'd been assuming i'd never see my letters, but it'd be great to see them once i'm attending yale whatever law school i get into.   ;)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

dr_draino

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 01:37:43 AM »

so the professor could show it to you of course, of his/her own volition, but the school also could show it to you of their own volition?

i'd been assuming i'd never see my letters, but it'd be great to see them once i'm attending yale whatever law school i get into.   ;)

Theoretically, I think so...but it'll never happen! (school showing rec., not the Yale thing)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 01:44:27 AM »
the yale thing won't happen either.  my new dream school is stanford.  their library and their classrooms have the aeron herman miller chairs i love.

so i guess i'll never see my letters :(

maybe i'll make a cute joke about the letters to my recommenders when i tell them where i'm going if i get into some of my reachier schools, saying it must have been a damn good letter.  maybe they'll voluntarily send me the letter.  probably not.  but whatever.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 02:12:19 AM »
What I understand, based what I know from working in the Classics ugrad and grad office, is that you're not allowed to see your file (including LOR if you've waived your right).  My office is pretty lax, though, so I know my boyfriend has seen his file.  In our office, you could theoretically just check your file after hours, since everyone has a key.  Probably wouldn't work that way for law school, though. ;)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 02:20:17 AM »
hmm... maybe i could work in the admissions office PT?  eh, not worth it.  i have no intention of working during the academic year, and once i'm in, it doesn't really matter what the letters said.