Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Arrested  (Read 2189 times)

Gummo

Re: Arrested
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2004, 12:14:42 PM »
I dunno...a lot of applications just ask if you've ever been convicted, straight up, not if anything's pending against you.  If that's the case, and he hasn't been convicted yet, there hasn't been a change in his status, so he isn't obligated to report it. 

By the way, I think it's BS when they ask if anything's pending against you (and that some apps ask if you've ever been "arrested" or "charged" with anything).  It presumes guilt before innocence, and you'd think that law schools, of all places, would be hesitant to do so.

Oh yeah, and for Christ's sake, quit giving the OP *&^%.  He knows he screwed up, I'm sure...he doesn't need everybody on LSD kicking him while he's down.  If you have advice for him, give it, don't say *&^% like "why'd you have to do something so stupid?"

I actually thought the same thing about the presumed guilt thing.  Also, I don't see how it can be held against you to have been charged with something and then be found not guilty or have the charges thrown out.  Kinda screwed.

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2004, 12:47:01 PM »
I think the only opinions on this question that would really matter are those of the state bar association(s) for which you will be applying for admission after law school. They should be able to tell you exactly what their expectations are in terms of disclosure. For some states, it may not matter what a specific school's application says - they might expect you to disclose the arrest, even before any judgement has been made. You won't know for sure until you ask them - and since you can more than likely ask them without giving them your personal information, you really have nothing to lose by doing so.

There are attorneys that specialize in assisting those with "issues" in their past gain admittance to the Bar - you may be able to get more specific advice (if you need it) by consulting one of them. You would do well to ensure that you have done everything you can to comply with the letter and spirit of the disclosure expectations of both your law schools and state bar associations - a DUI (even if you are convicted) won't in all liklihood keep you from being admitted to the bar, or even to a law school. Trying to hide the information about it might.

Don't compound your mistake. And don't spend the next few years having to worry about getting through the C&F phase of bar admission - know what will be expected of you in terms of disclosure, then meet those requirements.

Hope everything works out for you. Hang in there.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 02:59:01 PM »
My advice would be to gather all your applications and ask your attorney who is representing you in the DUI case which schools you will need to inform.  Maybe you get charged for an extra couple hours of work, but at least it will help you get past this and on to the rest of your life.  Good Luck!

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004, 05:50:54 PM »
"For some states, it may not matter what a specific school's application says - they might expect you to disclose the arrest, even before any judgement has been made. You won't know for sure until you ask them - and since you can more than likely ask them without giving them your personal information, you really have nothing to lose by doing so."

Disagree with this 100%.  You can't get into trouble with the bar for not disclosing information THAT WAS NEVER ASKED FOR ON THE LS APPLICATION.  And there is no way the state bar is going to give anyone an advisory opinion as to what they need to disclose on a law school application. 

The advice to consult an attorney is of course good.  But if you can't afford it or can't get it done in time, just follow the plain language of the law school application.  Disclose what it asks for, no more and no less.
Penn Law Class of '09

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004, 09:07:20 PM »
Folks, this is a no-brainer.

#1) ABSOLUTELY disclose this to every scool IMMEDIATELY. You may find a jurisdiction that will overlook the fact that you hid this information, but it won't be in the U.S. Send them a three-sentence addendum which states, 1) I was arrested for DWI, 2) it was on this date at this location, and 3) I have never been arrested for, or convicted of, any other crime.

#2) Nearly all lawyers are drunks, and many, if not most, have gotten into trouble over it. (If you doubt this, ask any lawyer- it's not an exaggeration). Believe me, disclosing the DUI isn't going get your app thrown directly into the bin. NOT disclosing it could cost you for life, and will almost certainly cost you time and money a few years from now.

DON'T START A LEGAL CAREER BY ACTING LIKE AN UNSCRUPULOUS LAWYER!

UMHBmom

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2004, 09:12:44 PM »
You can always claim that the current president has a dui, why can't I have one too?   ;D

yes, but the current president didn't get that DUI on the campaign trail.

Only 'cuz he gets to sit in the back seat now.  ;D

UofIEng

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2004, 09:14:16 PM »

#1) ABSOLUTELY disclose this to every scool IMMEDIATELY. You may find a jurisdiction that will overlook the fact that you hid this information, but it won't be in the U.S. Send them a three-sentence addendum which states, 1) I was arrested for DWI, 2) it was on this date at this location, and 3) I have never been arrested for, or convicted of, any other crime.

#2) Nearly all lawyers are drunks, and many, if not most, have gotten into trouble over it. (If you doubt this, ask any lawyer- it's not an exaggeration). Believe me, disclosing the DUI isn't going get your app thrown directly into the bin. NOT disclosing it could cost you for life, and will almost certainly cost you time and money a few years from now.

I still disagree, only disclose this to the schools that SPECIFICALLY say you must report any charges that occur after your original submission.  Otherwise they're not asking for it, why bother hurting yourself.  

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2004, 09:17:38 PM »
just call the schools anonymously and ask.  However, you are still an f-ing dumbass.

caffeine and nicotine addict

• Sr. Citizen
  • Stay back - This is MY piss-pot!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tchnav
    • View Profile
    • Third Tier Toilet
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2004, 09:19:01 PM »

I still disagree, only disclose this to the schools that SPECIFICALLY say you must report any charges that occur after your original submission.  Otherwise they're not asking for it, why bother hurting yourself. 

Oh yes - And you should call up every school and tell them about the time you smoked pot, tried coke, etc. If you really want to be safe, you should tell them about that red light you ran yesterday and about how you went over 20 miles over the speed limit when you were late to work. As a matter of fact, you should just go ahead and withdraw all your apps. That way, there would be no question about anything!
In at GULC PT/ED - WooHoo!

Robespierre

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2004, 09:28:47 AM »

Absolutely terrible advice, for the reasons several have stated.  There is nothing unscrupulous about not disclosing facts that weren't asked for.
Penn Law Class of '09