Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: applying to a top school  (Read 2541 times)

vkschicago

• View Profile
applying to a top school
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
I have a 3.9 GPA in an honors program at my University and was looking to apply to one of the top law school, however, only received a 158 on the exam.  I have considered applying to a few of the top school anyways, is this something I should still consider or are my LSAT scores to low to justify the application.  Any advice would be appreciated.

uponcripplecreek

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: applying to a top school
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 11:45:09 PM »
That probably depends on how you are defining "top schools." What schools specifically are you thinking of applying to?

maricutie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:00:45 AM »
Some "top" schools (anything in the top 20) will favor a high GPA over an LSAT score, so you have a chance, especially if you can argue that you have a history of doing bad on these kind of tests. Berkeley, for example, would be one that you should go for, as should be Michigan. Hope this helps. ..

vkschicago

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 03:56:22 PM »
I have also worked two jobs while keeping my 3.9 for about 35hrs a week.  Weekends as a bartender/server and days as an office assistant between classes.  Is this something I should elaborate on?  Would it help my chances at a school like Berkeley? Also, should I bother applying to Texas?

vegemitemama

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 03:06:06 PM »
I have also worked two jobs while keeping my 3.9 for about 35hrs a week.  Weekends as a bartender/server and days as an office assistant between classes.  Is this something I should elaborate on?  Would it help my chances at a school like Berkeley? Also, should I bother applying to Texas?
That is definitely something you should elaborate on - it makes for a great PS. Also, it wouldn't hurt to apply to UTexas. The 3.9 should make up for the LSAT (which isn't all that bad, IMO). I think you've got a shot.

sonofapickle.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »
go to JFKUoflaw.