Law School Discussion

Need the boards help-LOR that can be edited (not for content, of course)

A.J.

Hi all,

I was wondering if some of you wouldnt mind reading this brief LOR I have recieved from a finance prof and submitting your thoughts on its stucture and flow.  I need you guys here as I am allowed to review and make changes related to wording as I see necessary.  It is short and sweet...

As suggested, I have taken the letter down.  I could still really use your help on this.  Please, PM me.

EDIT: darn, I just realized I put this on the PS board.

Kelly

Re: Need the boards help-LOR that can be edited (not for content, of course)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 07:02:18 PM »
Hi Aaron,
It sounds good but I don't like the part of limited evidence. I don't feel like you should be doubted in any way. I did my undergrad at Yale and wrote the rec's for myself (with my prof's looking them over) and I never placed any "doubt" into them. You never want the schools to "second-guess" you.

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 07:07:40 PM »
1)  I know I'd have trouble with a student posting a letter I wrote on the web.
2)  It's very uncommon for a prof to mention where he got his Ph.D. from in an LOR...that's beyond tacky.
3)  I really don't think the adcoms are gonna be sweating the flow and grammar of an LOR...they write these themselves and know how quickly they're cranked out.

A.J.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 07:12:55 PM »
Wow.  Of course, his name was ommitted to preserve annonymity

I am a little curious about point #2.  That doesnt seem out of order to me, in fact it seems neccessary.  Could you explain that a little more?

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 07:17:08 PM »
Name ommitted or not, I still don't want something I wrote put on display for the public to see...and it certainly wouldn't be that hard to figure out who it is considering we know what he teaches, where he teaches it and where he went to school, so I don't really know that this could be called annonymous at all.

I just don't know of ANYONE that goes around saying "btw, I got my Ph.D. at such-and-such", especially not on an LOR.  I've never EVER seen a school listed after the letters Ph.D. except on a resume/CV.  Seems very weird to me.

A.J.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 07:19:44 PM »
Name ommitted or not, I still don't want something I wrote put on display for the public to see...and it certainly wouldn't be that hard to figure out who it is considering we know what he teaches, where he teaches it and where he went to school, so I don't really know that this could be called annonymous at all.

I just don't know of ANYONE that goes around saying "btw, I got my Ph.D. at such-and-such", especially not on an LOR.  I've never EVER seen a school listed after the letters Ph.D. except on a resume/CV.  Seems very weird to me.

I see what you're saying on both counts.  I dont think he intends to come off haughty, at least he doesnt strike me as that sort of person.  I know that he has written letters for other students who have been accepted into B. Programs and I suspect the letters are vitrually identical to this one.  I dont think I can approach him on the university listing, though.  :-\

A.J.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 08:27:39 PM »
Thanks folks.  I think I got what I needed but if you really feel the urge to comment I wouldnt mind it.

kyllina@cc.wwu.edu

DOWNY COOLEY

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 11:21:14 PM »
Yes, you are a bigot, as well as an idiot. You contribute nothing and you are too stupid to understand the world around you. You rely on your own sense of importance because the world around you sees you for what you are- a mediocre, bigoted loser. You are a loser. You are a bigot. You do not matter to anyone. Your entire existence is worthless. Each day you wake up tired and alone. Each day you continue to be a loser. This trend will follow you through life.

I win again.

HTH
DOWNY