Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges  (Read 46103 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2004, 06:10:50 PM »
pre-law curriculum and pre-law advising aren't the same thing.

domovoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Tell them T-Bone, Tell them!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2004, 08:21:09 PM »
And don't tell anyone you're majoring in pre-law. Here's why:

Everyone knows there is no such thing as a real pre-law and pre-med major.

When you say you're pre-med, you're a bio or bio-chem major that thinks that he/she is better than the rest of the bio majors simply because you're planning to go to med school. No need to look like an arrogant prick.

If you want to become a lawyer, go get a real major, do something you like, and then go to law school. Then you can say i'm a lawyer.

Why advertise the wish to become one? (There's enough people that hate lawyers already)
Accepted: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, Fordham, FPLC.
Pending:UCLA.
DENIED: UPenn, Northwestern, GWU(Waitlist), BU(Waitlist).
164/3.43, Engineering, Non-URM

maximumtennis82

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 11:30:28 PM »
I'm with headless chicken...I think philosophy (logic in particular) was a great undergrad course of study to help with the LSAT.  Deciphering exactly what arguments boil down to and coding things into logical notation helped me immensely in the arguments section, reading all those dense proses helped with reading comprehension, and games weren't hard after doing so many in classes (logic, again).

Most of my peers who graduated in philosophy and took the LSAT did well on it as well.

bhvexille

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2004, 11:33:22 PM »
I took (and aced) a logic course in college.. it didn't help me at all..

The logic used on the LSAT is very rudimentary, and my princeton review teachers covered all of it very competently

Philosophy majors tend to do the best on the LSAT because the people who tend to major in philosophy tend to already have -- in ample supply -- the basic reasoning skills that 1) make philosophy fun, and 2) make the LSAT easy

Just go to the best school you can get into, and major in something you truly enjoy studying.. and get the best grades you can get.

maximumtennis82

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2004, 12:53:54 AM »
bhvexille-  I think it heavily depends on the type of logic courses one takes...I went through several (and aced them), ranging from one that was basically pure math to one that was focused upon looking at attempts to take historical dialectics from a variety of areas of philosophy and translating the different author's positions into logical arguments.  I think the latter type helped me a lot.

bhvexille

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2004, 12:57:15 AM »
Well having that ability is definately important on the LSAT, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not that's something that can be explicitly taught

I've always thought that being able to "internalize" arguments and see them as logical statements (and not get caught up in what they're "about") is something that people either can or can't do

But if you have the opportunity to develop this skill (assuming, for argument's sake, that it can be developed in a logic course), then you should absolutely take it

I just took the basic logic/math course.. the only thing from there that I used was how to do a contrapositive

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 09:33:19 PM »
Just to clarify for you guys, some schools do actually have majors in pre-law.  Though you'd be a fool to do it.  Most schools just have a pre-law advising program.  Certainly no reason not be involved in that, in my opinion. 
As far as what majors are best, I think there is no right answer except to say that you want something challenging.  Whatever your major, schools just want to see that you challenged yourself and that you worked hard.  And I love when folks say that philosophy majors to well on the LSAT because that makes me confident!  Personally, I am a double major in Philosophy and Political Science.  I hate poli sci, but I've heard from adcoms that this is a fantastic combination.  Plus double majoring makes your whole college experience just a little tougher, which they always like.
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2005, 08:47:41 PM »
The bottom line, as others have alluded to, is just do what you enjoy. I am a Political Science major and I have enjoyed every bit of my education. Sure, they may be a dime a dozen, but don't major in something such as Physics to impress adcomms; do it because you enjoy Physics. You will almost always perform better in a major that you enjoy and are passionate about.

by way, julie love all your movies.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2005, 10:16:28 PM »
Thanks Julie :)

tamica

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2005, 07:58:01 PM »
I would like to know what to major in also, I was thinking of a Pre-Law Major at a community college and then transferring to a four year college and major in either Criminal Justice or English.  What do you guys think?