Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges  (Read 45180 times)

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
Re: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 07:22:27 PM »
majoring in something in the sciences, or philosophy or english would be good.  law schools are looking for people with majors that aren't a dime a dozen and that also require critical thinking.  only take a couple of classes as electives that relate to law.  for instance, i'm majoring in environmental science, but i've taken a class on "the american judicial system," and i'm taking "privacy law" and "civil liberties" next semester just to see what i'm interested in.  
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

futurejd20

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 07:37:48 PM »
pre-law would be idea. don't listen to them. you will be much more prepared for law school than a psych major, for example. english will also be nice because law school requires a lot of reading and writing.

DOWNY COOLEY

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 01:53:43 AM »
Go PLAY with your barbie!

HTH

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 05:55:33 PM »
Just go to a good school, get good grades, find two or three profs you can get to know well to solicite letters of rec from and do well on the LSAT. Thats all that matters.

Michiganhopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 04:31:57 PM »
I agree.... pre-laws ironically have the absolute worst admissions stats out of everyone else.  I think physics majors fare the best.  In all seriousness, if you are gunning for a top law school, your best chance is to do some sort of science major coupled with a humanities major.  I think this show that you have the critical thinking skills plus the ability to express yourself, or if you had to choose, do the science major and get good grades.  Pre-law just doesn't make you stand out enough....... and BELIEVE me standing out is INCREDIBLY important in the law school process.

laur0212

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L, yay!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Laur0212
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2004, 04:47:49 PM »
seriously, the guy said criminal justice?  i majored in that and that's how i came to the decision to go to law school.

but yeah, i agree with everyone else.  don't do a pre-law major, just find something that interests you, be it history or poly sci whatever and major in that.

and i wouldn't stress about it too much just yet.  most schools don't make you declare a major until the end of your sophomore year, which gives you 4 full semesters to figure out what you like.

strouse

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 04:28:12 PM »
Interpretive Dance at Community College is a good start

HTH

LSATGuru

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2004, 03:18:13 PM »
Go to the school where you can strike the best balance between reasonable name recognition/brand name and the highest GPA.  This is what will get you into law school. 

The largest stumbing block, in my opinion, is the LSAT. If you're that insanely sure you want to be a lawyer, I would major in something VERY intensive, like Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, or something that requires massive amounts of analytical though and/or reading.  I've seen far more engineers blow away the LSAT their first time out than History/Philosophy/English/Classics majors (sorry TDPookie :P you're an exception). 

Another key factor is to get into as many leadership roles as possible while in college. This will play huge in your admissions.  But GPA and LSAT reign all if you're white. 

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2004, 07:39:48 PM »
I disagree with the previous post. I was a comp. lit. major, and I could not imagine a better way to prepare for the LSAT, which is 3/4 a test of your ability to read closely and analyse what you're reading and 1/4 a test of your logical reasoning. I think being a lit major was the primary reason why I scored a 174 on the first test I ever took (having never looked at an LSAT before) and scored a 179 when I took the test for real.
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

LSATGuru

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2004, 09:41:37 PM »
Touché.  I'm sure you being very intelligent also played into the picture.