Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges  (Read 44515 times)

Standards

• View Profile
Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges
« on: November 17, 2004, 06:56:31 PM »
Hey, I'm currently a senior in HS, and I am wondering what colleges around the country are the best in pre-law majors and are the best at preparing you for law school...please help  ;D

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
Re: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 06:58:03 PM »
pre-law is a waste of time.  get a real major, and take some of the poly sci classes that are law related to get a feel for it and decide whether or not you are truly interested in law. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

be10dwn

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 07:00:09 PM »
My wife likes watching survivior and it cracks me up watching the one chick on their who is a pre law major.  I just want to tell her to get a real f-ing education.

lexylit

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 07:08:49 PM »
Hey, I'm currently a senior in HS, and I am wondering what colleges around the country are the best in pre-law majors and are the best at preparing you for law school...please help  ;D

go to the best school possible and don't major in pre-law. in fact, don't go to a school that has such a thing as a pre-law major.

ivies and small liberal arts schools like swarthmore place well in lawschools, as does stanford, uc berkeley, etc.

Standards

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 07:13:45 PM »
I don't understand what you guys are saying...I know that there is no pre-law major...but, its more of a focus...one would undertake a major and take classes to prepare for law school...that's what I meant by pre-law(I am currently looking at Miami of Ohio, Dayton, Loyola, and DePaul)

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 07:14:43 PM »
moreover, where you go does not matter much at all quite frankly.  some here will tell you that going to a better institution helps your odds of acceptance at any given law school.  this certainly might be true, but debatable and very little evidence to prove it helps.  the best evidence is that those from the top institutions gain acceptance with lower avg gpa than those not from those few schools.  however, while not a gimme, it is probably easier to get a higher gpa at a school that is not one of those instituions.  basically, go wherever you want (personally i'd choose the state school in your area if it is somewhat reputable and save yourself a lot of money), pick a major that interests you (but yes, dont do pre-law!!) and just make sure you have as high a gpa as you can.

g'luck

lexylit

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:15:38 PM »
yeah, don't take "classes to prepare for law school." take a traditional major like english, history, economics, political science, physics, whatever floats your boat.

be10dwn

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 07:16:07 PM »
I don't understand what you guys are saying...I know that there is no pre-law major...but, its more of a focus...one would undertake a major and take classes to prepare for law school...that's what I meant by pre-law(I am currently looking at Miami of Ohio, Dayton, Loyola, and DePaul)

well you said pre law and that triggered a knee jerk reaction from most of us.  

be10dwn

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:17:37 PM »
yeah, don't take "classes to prepare for law school." take a traditional major like english, history, economics, political science, physics, whatever floats your boat.
and to piggy back on that,  I would stay away from crim justice, political science, things that are common.  If I had it to do over again I might not ahve majored in history, though I don't know what else I would have majored in.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 07:19:46 PM »
granted this is coming from someone who has never stepped into a law school, however i have spent plenty of time studying something that is similar and so i have confidence when i say the following.  in law school, aside from a good work ethic and solid time management skills, you need a critical mind.  you need to analyze cases, infer from them, compare and contrast to others etc...  these are skills.  a variety of knowledge can be helpful, but more important--attain these skills.  it can be accomplished in history, literature, economics, etc... and that is why you see ppl attending law schools with a variety of majors.  all can have the skills required.  the most important thing is to find a major your happy with (or can at least tolerate for 4 years) and excel within that field (at least in terms of gpa).