Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges  (Read 45237 times)

nordhabs

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2005, 05:53:11 PM »
Just don't take too many cake classes, get great grades and do well on the Lsat.  The LSAT is the MOST important thing.  Enjoy life; you might even change your mind about law school.  I am a 2l, and like most,  I only considered law school shortly before graduating.  People who want to lawyers "since they were a kid" are a bit strange, I think...

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2006, 08:06:30 PM »
i am beginning to think that the "diffculty" of your classes doesn't matter all that much.

unless you take basket weaving and floral design for 4 years, law schools have no idea how difficult your classes really were.

dont major in criminal justice, but you dont need to major in some type of obscure science either.

have a high gpa and a high lsat and you can go wherever you want.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2006, 11:53:02 PM »
i am beginning to think that the "diffculty" of your classes doesn't matter all that much.

unless you take basket weaving and floral design for 4 years, law schools have no idea how difficult your classes really were.

dont major in criminal justice, but you dont need to major in some type of obscure science either.

have a high gpa and a high lsat and you can go wherever you want.

I agree with all of these points. To the basket weaving/floral design point I would add do not take a disproportionate number of courses that have "intro" in the title or have low course numbers on your school's scale. e.g. if your scale starts at 000 don't take way took much "Econ 001" / "English 010" etc.; if your school starts numbering at 100 don't take disproportionately many courses like "Econ 101 / English 110" etc. Of course a few is TOTALLY FINE, it's just that over 4 years there should be some sort of advancement instead of still being at the bottom level in junior or senior year.

But there are plently of courses with decently high course numbres, and titles that don't say "intro," which are easy.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2006, 11:55:07 PM »
If you are planning this far ahead (!), and you know some specific law schools you're intersted in, you could call them and ask what undergrad schools are best represented in their LS student body. At Yale Law for example, the 2 biggest feeder schools are Yale and Harvard Colleges, while at Harvard Law I believe Harvard College is the best represented.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2006, 11:21:09 PM »
yeah, don't take "classes to prepare for law school." take a traditional major like english, history, economics, political science, physics, whatever floats your boat.

In college, I took 2 seperate constitutional law courses and a class called the legal environment of business. All of those classes gave me an excellent background. There were alot of concepts I already had a bare bones grasp on, and that gave me an edge throughout the first year. Take hard classes, get good grades and try to get a little exposure to the law to see if its for you. That and a job in a law firm or courthouse (future job contacts) will go along way for you in various aspects of a law school/legal career.