Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges  (Read 44507 times)

MC Paul Barman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the best Pre-Law colleges
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2005, 08:06:40 PM »
major in something that you'd like to do if LS was not an option after graduating.

tamica

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2005, 08:19:30 PM »
Thanks Paul,

That is a great idea.  Now what about law school?  Do you think Nashville School of Law would suite me?  I have 3 children and I want a full time job in a law firm?  I live in Jackson thinking of moving to Nashville closer to the law school.  Should I go now or later, I'm starting an associates degree in Pre-Law, but I can finish up there in Nashville. Help Me!

MC Paul Barman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2005, 08:33:20 PM »
i wouldn't move right now if the only reason is to be close to a law school you *might* attend in 3-4 years...you should do your best in college/on the lsat and then go to the best school you can get into that will work w/your family situation. I \dont think the nashville school of law is even accreditted. do not go there. its a ttt and a huge waste of money...............i hope this is a flame.

tamica

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2005, 08:42:22 PM »
Thanks Paul,

But... If I shouldn't go to Nashville School of Law, where should I go that offers a night school allowing me to work a job?  I have no help in finances right now. Help Again Please!

MC Paul Barman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2005, 09:00:10 PM »
there are lots of schools w/part time night programs. do some research. if you go to nashville, you will not become a lawyer - you wont be able to sit for the bar.

tamica

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2005, 09:08:28 PM »
Thanks Paul,

If you hear of anything else that could help, please let me know.

Thanks again :D

bloomich

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2005, 12:48:52 AM »
yeah, don't take "classes to prepare for law school." take a traditional major like english, history, economics, political science, physics, whatever floats your boat.
and to piggy back on that,  I would stay away from crim justice, political science, things that are common.  If I had it to do over again I might not ahve majored in history, though I don't know what else I would have majored in.

majoring in something in the sciences, or philosophy or english would be good.  law schools are looking for people with majors that aren't a dime a dozen and that also require critical thinking.  only take a couple of classes as electives that relate to law.  for instance, i'm majoring in environmental science, but i've taken a class on "the american judicial system," and i'm taking "privacy law" and "civil liberties" next semester just to see what i'm interested in. 

I'm sorry but this kind of advice is BUNK... take virtually any demanding major in science or liberal arts, work hard, do well and you should be fine!!!  history and polisci are classic "pre-law" (to use the OP's terms) concentrations for a reason!... as a law school applicant, you should set yourself apart in terms of your personal statement, your letters of recommendation, your work experience, your extracurriculars, your volunteering, and last but CERTAINLY not least your GPA and LSAT... your actual major is not where you want to be different for different's sake... any "hard" natural science or liberal arts program is appropriate... if you find that you love polisci or history... go for it! they are great preparatory backgrounds for law... pls, do NOT avoid history or polisci because you think they won't differentiate you... that would be robbing you of a potentially valuable undergraduate experience, if in fact, you would have found either interesting/worthwhile... i will admit that i take personal exception to this kind of thinking because i am a history major but more so because i think history is wonderful and i would hate to think that someone who would feel the same way would decide not to pursue a degree in history for fear of being too "ordinary"... find something you are interested in, and do well in it!

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2005, 05:44:05 AM »
taking at least one law-related class is good to help you make sure you like discussing cases.  class in logic also can be helpful on lsat.

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2005, 02:24:03 PM »
The goal is to get the highest GPA possible. If taking something you hate hurts your GPA then its not worth it. A 3.6 at something you like looks a lot better than a 3.0 at something you hate, even if its something excruciatingly difficult. In the end the law schools care about your stats because thats what'll determine their rankings.

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2005, 10:42:23 PM »
I disagree with the previous post. I was a comp. lit. major, and I could not imagine a better way to prepare for the LSAT, which is 3/4 a test of your ability to read closely and analyse what you're reading and 1/4 a test of your logical reasoning. I think being a lit major was the primary reason why I scored a 174 on the first test I ever took (having never looked at an LSAT before) and scored a 179 when I took the test for real.

Yeah, but you come accross as a feminine hygiene product bag, so what good is a 179 LSAT when you're a doushe bag? ;D