Law School Discussion

Help needed, please. (And a little story)

mikeb

Help needed, please. (And a little story)
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:24:33 PM »
First to get the introduction out of the way, my name is Mike, I am 20 years old, and live in Bismarck North Dakota.

Anyways, most of my life I have always had the desire to study law, and someday become a lawyer.

I sort of messed around a bit much in high school due to the fact I had enlisted in the United States Marine Corps when I was a junior.

To make a long story short, I was medically discharged a few months ago and now here I sit.

I figured becomming a police officer would be the next closest thing to law as I could get.

Then I sort of grew up, realizing however that my grades from high school were terrible, and the fact I have the hardest time with math out of anyone I have ever met.

Basically I am going to go college this January (Lake Region State) and work for a 2 year degree and do an apprenticeship (sp) over the summer.

I did fairly well in high school in my subjects except math, its my kryptonite.

So in actual law school, is there a whole bunch of mathematics to study? Or is it mainly going to be just law?

Thanks for reading this and I would appreciate any input.

kernelgt

Re: Help needed, please. (And a little story)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 12:46:09 AM »
It's just law in law school, but that's primarily because you must have completed a bachelor degree before attending.  It's great that you're enrolling in a 2 year degree program, but unless you complete a 4 year undergraduate degree, you can't go to law school.

Javert

• Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 07:36:20 AM »
You can probably slide by with one fairly basic math course. Get a tutor, study extra-hard, etc; do whatever it takes to get a good mark in that course. Then, you're home free. But yeah, you need a 4-year degree to be eligible for law school. However, the schools don't always look down on transferring to a 4-year institution after getting a two-year degree; I did the same thing, and I'm currently in at Georgetown and pending elsewhere.

mfitz

• 3.72/158
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MEFter0913
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 09:44:23 AM »
After getting your Associate's Degree, try transferring to a state school and major in something in the liberal arts.  I was a psychology major, and other than the statistics requirement for Psych, my math requirement for the liberal arts school was fulfilled with a web-design course.

I know plenty of people who have overcome bad high school grades by doing well in a 2-year program, and then going on to a state school.  If you can get into a four-year program after the 2-year degree, and do well in the 4-year program, you will be set for law school.  Just study hard.

mikeb

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 10:26:45 AM »
Thanks for the good advice.

I appreicate all the help and I really appologize for my lack of knowledge.

I will keep updated with this board and try and learn what I can from it, good luck to all of you already in law school.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 05:14:29 PM »
I don't think there is any math whatsoever in law school.

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 06:44:16 PM »
not unless you take "the economics of law."   ;)