Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Online Application vs. Paper Application  (Read 990 times)

namorcram

• View Profile
Online Application vs. Paper Application
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:23:03 PM »
I'm just curious what any you think of the online application process; it seems easier, but it seems like all the formatting gets lost when you post it up on their website (applying to Albany, and they use applyweb.com).

I'm thinking to go with the paper application, as I can control the formatting, use nice paper, etc. Along with the personal statement, I'm submitting a resume and an addendum. I just want them to look a little better than as if I was posting on a blog somewhere!

Anyone hear feedback from the adcoms on this? I'm planning to apply by Thanksgiving, and just need to get this sorted out; My pre-law advisor thought the paper app might look more professional, but I'm not convinced it really matters...

Gummo

Re: Online Application vs. Paper Application
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 11:33:05 PM »
Most say they prefer the electronic app- probably because someone is going to have to enter/file all the information from your paper app. 

I'm sure it's not going to affect whether or not you're accepted (unless you sent a really sloppy paper app, which you obviously won't) :)

pointdexterish

• Sr. Citizen
  • 95% there
    • View Profile
    • Juris Novus
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 12:41:38 AM »
Most say they prefer the electronic app- probably because someone is going to have to enter/file all the information from your paper app. 

I'm sure it's not going to affect whether or not you're accepted (unless you sent a really sloppy paper app, which you obviously won't) :)

Schools take paper apps and have clerks enter the information into a database.  When your LSDAS report is sent to the school it is entered into the same database directly.  Who would you rather having typing out your info: you, or a clerk making 7.50 an hour?

kernelgt

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 03:02:37 AM »

I think you hit it right on the head here.  It's not the adcomms themselves that prefer electronic, it's the office of admissions workers that prefer it because it's easier for them.  (Purely conjecture here:) I think the adcomms get a paper file that pretty much looks the same whether or not you mailed or electronically applied.  They don't care.

There's a point about the clerk properly entering the data; however, I believe that the adcomms get the LSDAS report printed off for them, so there's no way for the clerk to mess that up...your LSAT and GPA, etc, are already printed on there.  And if the clerk messes up your admin data, you won't get an email or letter, so you'll call to find out what's going on and correct that error.

namorcram

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 11:02:16 AM »
Just to follow up on my own question:

I contacted Admissions over at Albany, and it turns out that they actually use paper files for each candidate to build each admission application file. If I applied electronically, they said that they would just print out the application, and insert it into the paper file. I asked if anyone retypes anything, and she said that they don't, as it would be too time consuming. To preserve the visual presentation of the material I'm planning on submitting, she indicated that submitting everything via paper would be the way to go. Of course, I would save $5. by applying online - apparently the only tangible benefit of this process :)

Granted that this won't help increase my acceptance advantages as far as my numbers are concerned, I do think that a nicely formatted document is more preferable to the eye than a block of text in default Courier font. I guess this is the way I'm going to go.

I understand that this information may be specific to Albany, so I'm sure that the earlier comments are true for other schools. I guess calling them is ultimately the only real way to find out.

I appreciate everyone's help!