Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: US News Law School Rankings vs US News University Rankings  (Read 1348 times)

wrmusgro

US News Law School Rankings vs US News University Rankings
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:19:37 PM »
Just thought I'd throw it out there, but there are some glaring discrepencies between the 2005 USNews Law School Rankings and the 2005 USNews National University Rankings.

Several top 100 schools acording to the Law School rankings are actually behind Several Teir 4 schools according to this ranking when compared to the University as a whole.

For example: Dayton, Tulsa, and Syracuse are all in T4 in the LawSchool Rankings where as they are in the top 100 in University Rankings. They are also placed ahead of many tier 1 and teir 2 schools as far as universities go. Check it out for yourselves.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php
 There are many others as well. (ie University of the Pacific) It's pretty funny if you think about it. I mean, I really don't see how the rankings in US news can be legit, when there are these descrepencies within their own rankings. Oh well it's a thought!

vagrant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: US News Law School Rankings vs US News University Rankings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 11:40:34 PM »
The University wide rankings seem to be a bit crazy anyway.  How do you compare schools with entirely different programs to each other?  I would tend to trust the more narrow rankings more.

NYKnicks

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 12:10:13 AM »
I don't really see how undergrad rankings have anything to do with law school rankings. I guess for the schools that are highly ranked in both they get a bit of an overall prestige factor, but really, thats about it.

Sirkickyass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 01:09:14 PM »
You can't really compare undergraduate rankings to law school rankings. It's silly to think the correlation should be anywhere near 1.

legallyliz

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:16:10 PM »
You can't compare the two rankings - there is little, if any, correlation between the two.  For example, the #1 ranked University is Princeton (tied with Harvard), but Princeton doesnt have a JD program.  Whereas, UC Hastings is not on the University rankings because it is only an university fo the JD program.