Law School Discussion

what are considered "significant educational or economic disadvantages"

The University of Nebraska asks as part of it's app if I've had to overcome significant educational or economic disadvantages to obtain my undergrad degree. You are then required to explain on a separate sheet of paper.

What is considered significant?

Also, since my personal statement is about the kind of family life I grew up in and how that affected my ability to get my degree, can my explanation be very short? Like one paragraph?

Would the following work? 
Although I have written about the barriers to my undergraduate degree in my personal statement, I would like to offer a short explanation here also.  And then quickly discuss my disadvantages.

If I write about these issues in both  my ps and the explanation U of NE wants should I not mention them in my GPA addendum?  I don't want to be redundant.  I'm just confused on what to do?

Re: what are considered "significant educational or economic disadvantages"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 05:44:58 PM »
Sounds like you have a few questions... hopefully this will help:

1. don't know what you're considering to be significant... could you give exampes?

That's what I'm wondering.  What is considered significant?  I wrote about leaving home to pursue my undergrad degree at 17.  I am the oldest of 10 kids and my parents were relying on me to help raise them while I was going to college full-time and working.  I had also been home schooled for most of my life and had to adjust to a classroom atmosphere and was behind in several subjects.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 06:11:01 PM »
Can I e-mail my ps and GPA addendum to you?   Then you can have a better sense of my problem.

dignan27

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 06:56:52 PM »
Man that sounds like a pretty darn hard life you got there.  I thought I had some disadvantages going for me...yeesh

1. don't know what you're considering to be significant... could you give exampes? such as: independent since 16, put yourself through college, legal custody of siblings while in college, major medical issues (an auto accident that required 2 years of physical and water therapy or illness with 8 months bedridden) - these were all things I included in my addendum

TLFKARG

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 07:00:04 PM »
I think that if you have to ask that question, you probably haven't had any.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 07:03:17 PM »

Wow, thanks for that very  helpful comment. 

TLFKARG

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 07:06:50 PM »

Wow, thanks for that very  helpful comment. 
It wasn't meant to be sarcastic.  I meant to get the idea across that if you really have to think how you can fit your life's experiences into those definitions, you probably haven't experienced any significant disadvantages.  If you've been disadvantaged educationally or economically, you know how and why. 

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 07:15:50 PM »

It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I meant to get the idea across that if you really have to think how you can fit your life's experiences into those definitions, you probably haven't experienced any significant disadvantages. If you've been disadvantaged educationally or economically, you know how and why.

Actually, I'm not trying to fit my life experiences into a definition of disadvantage.  I just think it would be weird for me to check no if my personal statement is about how my background was a barrier to getting my degree. It would make it easier to check no.

TLFKARG

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 07:21:01 PM »

It wasn't meant to be sarcastic. I meant to get the idea across that if you really have to think how you can fit your life's experiences into those definitions, you probably haven't experienced any significant disadvantages. If you've been disadvantaged educationally or economically, you know how and why.

Actually, I'm not trying to fit my life experiences into a definition of disadvantage.  I just think it would be weird for me to check no if my personal statement is about how my background was a barrier to getting my degree. It would make it easier to check no.

Like I said, if it's obvious to you and should be obvious to everyone else that you have been disadvantaged, then check the box.  My comment was meant to warn those who like to "stretch" things a little.

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 09:07:54 PM »
I was thinking of checking the box too, but I'll just include it in the addendum, which will explain itself.