Law School Discussion

Where You Went to Undergrad...

Re: Where You Went to Undergrad...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 02:10:46 PM »
I got into Swarthmore but went to Messiah College instead.

I have/had a bunch of friends that went to Messiah.  I visited a few years ago and we got in trouble for having an illegal "after-hours" (11 p.m.) dance party with both males and females in the same apartment.  The fog-machine which we had set up then proceeded to trigger the fire alarms throughout the whole string of apartments.  Ha. Needless to say, I haven't been back there since. 

Sonya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 02:19:50 PM »
The LSDAS report sent to each law school shows the AdComms the uGPA and LSAT distribution at your undergraduate college. This distribution includes all students at your college that applied to law school in the last three years, so it is not a representative sample.

AdComms can gauge the strength of your school by looking at its average LSAT score. They can also compare your uGPA to the average uGPA. So AdComms can take into account both the competitiveness of your school and the amount of grade inflation there when looking at your raw numbers.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 03:20:41 PM »
This is extremeley subjective.

Generally speaking, if you are planning on applying to a solid, but not great, law school - they will primarily place an emphasis on your GPA no matter where you can from. LSAT is also taken account, so if you have a 4.0 from a "no-name" and get a low LSAT score, they will be suspicious and might not take you over someone with a higher LSAT but lower GPA from a solid school. Again, it is VERY subjective.

A plus of going to a top UG, is that you will have more options in case you don't want to attend law school. The negative is that it will probably only hurt your chances of admission since the curriculum is obviously a lot more difficult that your average state school.

The plus of going to a small, "no-name" is that you will have an equal shot of getting into law school. If you get a high GPA and LSAT, you are set and very lucky considering you went to a crappy school but in the long run, you're law school will really only matter when looking for jobs.

*&^% it goes on and on. Extremeley subjective and complicated......

• 3.9/165
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 03:50:58 PM »
I guess I just don't think that is fair... a lot of kids at Top 5 schools could have had a 4.0 if they went elsewhere.

I think that this is a flawed assumption, as many "prestigous" and ivy league schools are known for their rampant grade inflation, which therefore may cause skepticism for a 4.0 from Stanford or the like. I think quality of undergrad does matter to an extent, all other things considered.

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 03:59:14 PM »
A representative from a top 14 came by for a session, which ended up being more of a group interview than an info session.  He said something like, "Not all 3.5s are equal [this is a common phrase I've heard], and I know you go to Duke.  Good job.  And with respect to classes, I know that everyone here can tell me 10 classes that sound easy but are really hard, and vice versa."  And then proceeded to give a topic and have people discuss.  He made a seating chart so that he could take notes.

Sonya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 04:08:49 PM »
totalbs,

Out of curiosity, what did the rep ask you to talk about?

superiorlobe

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 04:11:03 PM »
also, which Top 14 school was it?

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 04:12:40 PM »
Duke undergrad is a school ofr ivy league, Stanford, Chicago, Wharton, Stern Mit, and Umich rejects.

dunson

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 04:48:22 PM »
undergrad counts.

be10dwn

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 04:54:29 PM »
Duke undergrad is a school ofr ivy league, Stanford, Chicago, Wharton, Stern Mit, and Umich rejects.

what a f-ing moron.