Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I am so stuck at 150, so...?  (Read 3406 times)

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
I am so stuck at 150, so...?
« on: April 09, 2004, 08:01:56 PM »
what do I do?  I have taken about 15 practice lsats.  I have studied the Nova book and most of the Logic Games Bible.  I am not budging on my score.  Can't figure it out.  I thought by pure repetition I would have kicked up a few points by now.  I am scheduled for the June test.  Should I postpone til October and take TestMasters.  Or, W H A T   ? :P

dta

Re: I am so stuck at 150, so...?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 08:08:13 PM »
If you are continuing to make that score despite repeated practice, likely your low score has nothing to do with the test being timed. Try this:

Take an LSAT exam TOTALLY UNTIMED (of course, one you haven't seen before). Do all sections, back to back, and do not look at any of the answers or do anything else until you have completed the exam. Allow yourself as long as you need to answer every question thoroughly but stay focused and work on all 4 sections without a break.

What is your score on the exam after doing this? If your score is not a perfect 180 (or darn close) then you have problems you need to deal with that have nothing to do with shortness of time. That is, if you do not score close to 180 under such conditions then your mind is actually analyzing the problems wrong and no amount of working faster will help. In this case, more practice on more exams will not help you. Rather, analyzing your untimed LSAT performance and being able to precisely explain why your answer was wrong and the credited response was right will.

Post your score here after you take a totally untimed exam.

Nicky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi,
I did the same thing bascially--took several months and did 1-20 practice tests and stayed steady at about 157, thinking I would learn by doing. After taking the Feb. test and canceling knowing I bombed the logic games I registered for Testmasters.  Althoug I only came up to 162-due to being nervous the day of the test and making some dumb mistakes--if I hadnt done those I would of got probabally 165-167.  Studying on my own helped with giving me the layout of the test but I didnt really know what I was looking at in terms of types of questions and how to work through types.  I would definetly recomned waiting and taking the Testmasters coarse and doing all of the homework solidly, it prepares you for the concepts.  Good luck!

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 08:52:28 PM »
Nicky and dta, thanks for the very insightful replies.  I truly appreciate it, and plan to utilize your suggestions.  Anybody else, come on in.  I am at wit's end and have to figure out what to do! :o

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 09:17:29 PM »
By the way, would the weekend TM course do me any good?  Or, do I just need to take the full course? :'(

dta

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 09:24:59 PM »
Although a formal course ala Kaplan, PR, Testmasters may help, I don't think it is necessary. By utilizing the method I described above I was able to improve my score from a 150 on my first diagnostic test to the low 160's range. I am now at a point where the only thing holding me back is the time factor. So, it's very doable on your own.

Even if you do take a formal course, I would still recommend using the method I described to self-improve yourself as much as possible before the course begins. Anyway, good luck.

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 10:07:15 PM »
Thank you, dta.  I am going to follow your advice precisely.  Question/answer analysis.  That's the agenda.  Let you know how it works out.  Thanks Again! ;D

dta

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 10:10:34 PM »
Cool. Remember - if you can't figure out why the credited response is the right answer and why the choice you selected is wrong, you can post your question up on to this board. I once couldn't figure out why the right answer was right, posted my question to this board, and got back a perfect explanation that made total sense and cleared the matter up.

So just remember - you can use this board as a study aid too!

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 01:40:20 PM »
my 2 cents...

i didnt take a course because it was too expensive and felt that studying alone was worth more than in a classroom setting. 

here is how i progressed:
took my first lsat blind, timed.  i used this score as my baseline.  i bought 1 book: Kaplan's LSAT study guide.  i read PR, Kaplan, Arco, etc study guides and Kaplan really seemed to be the most logical and up-to-date.  I took their strategies and memorized them. 

then i went out and bought all the most recent LSATs from LSAC (as well as any others i could find).  probably ended up with about 25-30 tests or so...

i tackled my hardest section first: logical reasoning.  i really stunk at them.  i did my first LR section in the kaplan book with the explanation for each answer.  i did the next 3 LR sections untimed.  this dramatically increased my score just on that section.  then for the next section, i reverse-timed the section to see how long it really takes me to completely FINISH the section.  (dont cheat yourself here...when i say finish, i mean double checking those you were unsure of, filling in the ovals, rereading ones that i had no clue about, etc.  i dont mean just "finishing" the last question and calling time).  when i did this for the next 3 sections, i averaged about 43 minutes per section.  then i did another section but i timed myself, giving myself 40 min.  after that, i gave myself 38 min, then 36, and so forth.  after about 12-13 tries, i ended up being able to finish with about 3 minutes left. 

i did this with each section, but not as rigorously on the logic games because that was my forte.  for reading comprehension, i found myself doing weird things (i.e. taking medical or sociology journals, dissecting articles into 500 word clumps, then reading them within a 2-4 minutes and having my wife ask me questions on them).  this helped me to read and skim more quickly.  i used to be a really slow reader, but now i think im okay.  i think ive had enough practice to last me a lifetime!

the thing about the lsats is that with repetition and sweat, it can be beaten.  trust me...my first blind score was a 153 and i ended up getting a 178 on the actual test (and im dumber than most monkeys!). 

one other thing...save yourself 3-4 latest LSAT preptests.  one of those whenever you can straight through. then take the remainder at the exact same way as you would take them on the day of the test (start in the morning, find a location similar to your test location, someone to procter, etc).  dont take breaks in between sections.  i know there is one break in the actual test, but because there are actually 5 sections with the experimental, i think that going straight through will provide extra pressure.  i believe in overcompensating.

sorry about the long post...but i do hope it helps in some way!

dan
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Lawschool2005

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 09:56:59 AM »
Dan, that was really insightful. Congrats on your high score. What schools have you gotten into? Just curious.