Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ. of Texas - HOLD notification  (Read 11132 times)

BigTex

Re: Univ. of Texas - HOLD notification
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2004, 03:43:32 PM »
I know what you mean ElizaB. I'm as nervous as a you-know-what in church waiting for the decision. Here's my latest theory, probably not worth the virtual paper it's written on, but oh well:

If you look at LSN, you will see there are some people who had lower index scores than those who were deferred but they were still accepted early decision. These folks w/ low indexes who still got accepted all had a high LSAT low GPA split.

Looks like UT really focuses mainly on the LSAT. From these preliminary results, it looks like you can have a pretty weak GPA in a somewhat soft major and you can still get accepted ED if you have a 167+ LSAT.

Hopefully in regular decision they'll actually read the applications and make decisions based on all the other factors besides just LSAT.

Incursion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2004, 04:03:38 PM »
How do you think I feel?  I'm the highest index that was held on LSN so far.

BTW, my friend got in today with a 3.5/172 from UT undergrad.
3.97/157/166

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2004, 04:08:10 PM »
Yeah that sucks. They claim on their web site not to use the index anymore:
"Specific weight is not attributed to any one of the factors listed. Instead, admissions decisions are based on all of the information contained in an applicant's file. In fact, the Law School discontinued its use of the Texas Index for admissions purposes on October 1, 2001."
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

BigTex

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2004, 04:35:17 PM »
yes, it appears they've replaced their index score w/ just a straight-up LSAT score. Oh well. Looks like UT is playing a purely LSAT numbers game.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2004, 10:37:42 AM »
For those of you who have had your LSDAS report requested by UT, did they send you an email when it was received?  My LSDAS report has been requested & sent out but I have received no email or notification from UT that my file is complete and everytime that I attempt to check my status on the UTEID thing, it gives me an error message.
Attending: Texas

BigTex

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2004, 10:41:20 AM »
I did not get an email when it was received. The only way I found out was by checking the status page.

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2004, 10:47:43 AM »
I got an e-mail from them saying that my app was received and they were requesting the LSDAS report. In that e-mail, they gave me the EID. However, there was no e-mail when my file went complete.

Luckily I refresh that page every 30 seconds...
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

BigTex

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2004, 11:04:39 AM »
Just to clarify - same as cutcut for me. I got an email when they requested. But that, of course, I could already tell by looking at the LSAC site. UT never sent me a follow up email when they received the LSDAS report nor when my file went complete. But I did get an email when my app went into HOLD status.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2004, 05:05:43 PM »
For what it's worth, I have and LSAT below 160 and a GPA below 3.0 and I have been "held". (I don't get it either...) I'm a TX resident and a white guy.

I think this makes me the official biggest loser on the "hold" list. Going once...

BigTex

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2004, 06:14:50 PM »
For what it's worth, I have and LSAT below 160 and a GPA below 3.0 and I have been "held". (I don't get it either...) I'm a TX resident and a white guy.

I think this makes me the official biggest loser on the "hold" list. Going once...

Hey Jumbo. Is there anything special about you? Surely there's something interesting in your background? Are you a legacy? And I don't at all mean that in a snide way. If I were a legacy i'd play that card up for all it's worth.