Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's going on with U of T?  (Read 1357 times)

BigTex

  • Guest
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 01:35:47 PM »
A lot seems to have happened at UT today/yesterday. I received an email this morning saying that my early decision application had been held over to regular decision. It said 3 options were available:

1. Final decision to accept.
2. Final decision to deny.
3. Hold application for consideration with entire class.

Here were some interesting numbers stated in the email. There were approx 1500 ED applications. Of those, 80% received a final decision (#1 or #2 above). The other 20% were held over for further consideration.

Given the fiasco mentioned in this thread, who knows what's going on. Maybe I was really accepted or denied and I got the wrong email.

BigTex

  • Guest
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 05:01:45 PM »
i love UT, but they have screwed up.  all the delay that was mentioned in the other thread is just republican.  im very disapointed with their handling of apps.  i applied 10/24 and they still haven't requested my f-ing report

They definitely do not employ a "First In, First Out" method of processing apps. It appears each application goes into a big randomizing jar. They then begin pulling apps out of the randomizing jar. Sometimes they'll grab an app that was submitted just hours ago, sometimes they'll grab an app submitted months ago.

The ZAPINATOR

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 6380
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 05:11:38 PM »
I love the concept of the randomizing jar!  I think all law schools should use this as their official policy.  Rolling admissions?  Fuggidaboudit!

ZAP

ccast

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 44
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »
I got the first, waiver e-mail but didn't get the second, rescinding e-mail.  I talked to Ray this morning, who was kind enough to notify me that the State of Texas would not be refunding the money order I included with my ED application.  It could be possible that they didn't send me a rescinding e-mail b/c they already have my damn money, but given the level of UT ogranization demonstrated thus far, that seems highly unlikely.

Lulu

  • Guest
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 06:17:01 PM »
I got a bunch of those too. I was never a huge fan of UT, and this just reminded me why I definitely am not applying. Did you guys also get the one from Boalt  last night?

Jumboshrimps

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 598
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 09:20:45 PM »
I wouldn't be so quick to jump on UT about that second email. It really sounds like they may have a hacker on their hands. Consider the brief and simple form of the email; a program could easily have been made to grab the senders name and the subject line and send it back to you in that form just for s**ts and giggles. I'd wager on it.

brmurphy

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 68
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 09:30:50 PM »
Microsoft Outlook is to Blame!

Microsoft Outlook has an option to "recall" an email message, which makes the message unreadable by the recipient.  If the author notices a mistake in the email then they can try to recall it.  It sounds as if some mistake was made, noticed by the author, and then recalled.  I wouldn't take this as a rescinding of the waiver.  The mistake could have been including the distribution list in the TO field instead of the BCC field which would explain why the author would want to recall the message. 

Brian

ElizaB

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1178
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 10:43:12 PM »
A lot seems to have happened at UT today/yesterday. I received an email this morning saying that my early decision application had been held over to regular decision. It said 3 options were available:

1. Final decision to accept.
2. Final decision to deny.
3. Hold application for consideration with entire class.

Here were some interesting numbers stated in the email. There were approx 1500 ED applications. Of those, 80% received a final decision (#1 or #2 above). The other 20% were held over for further consideration.

Given the fiasco mentioned in this thread, who knows what's going on. Maybe I was really accepted or denied and I got the wrong email.

If you don't mind my asking...what were your numbers and when did you send in your application?

I'm starting to think that the reason UT has not requested my LSDAS report is because they are going to deny me outright or something.
Attending: Texas

cutcut

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 349
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 10:50:39 PM »
Eliza, I would just call if I were you. It will probably set your mind at ease that it isn't personal and that they're just on some crazy schedule or something.

Anyway, every time I e-mail a school or LSAC to ask about why something hasn't happened yet (report requested or processed for example), it happens soon after. It's happened 3 times now. That may just be my magical power, but it worked. give it a try.
[insert clever quote here]
************************************************************
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

BigTex

  • Guest
Re: What's going on with U of T?
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 11:06:37 PM »
If you don't mind my asking...what were your numbers and when did you send in your application?

I'm starting to think that the reason UT has not requested my LSDAS report is because they are going to deny me outright or something.

to ensure my anonymity, i'm not divulging my numbers. adcoms read this board. i don't think i've said anything disparaging, but i just prefer to remain anon. However, i don't think your numbers have anything whatsoever to do with you not having your LSDAS report requested yet.

My own experience in terms of when I submitted my app combined with others and when I know they submitted their apps combined with when I and they had their respective LSDAS reports requested - all of that proves to me that the UT admissions process is not on a first come first served basis. Seriously. With UT, when you applied has little to do with when your LSDAS report is requested. I joked in another post about this, but i'm serious. I think they put the apps in a pile somewhere and in so doing the order the apps were received is lost. In fact, if you think about how you pile up paper and later access it, I REALLY do think they may actually have a quasi FILO (first-in-last-out) method of dealing w/ apps.

Don't sweat it too much. I waited much longer than you from submission to LSDAS report request. It'll come eventually. But it does seem you missed ED.

Some people who applied at the VERY END of October had their LSDAS report request within just a day or two. Others who applied in sept did not have their LSDAS report requested until nov.

I'm not being negative on UT at all (see that adcoms, i love yall and your crazy-cool admin process). UT has a lot of apps to process and I feel for them. Just understand - UT admissions is a drunken bull-ride and you've just got to learn to go w/ the flow. As Monica Ingram asks, just have patience. But, at the same time, I think it helps you keep your sanity if you understand the seeming chaos behind their process and thus don't expect orderly things like first-come-first-served service.