Law School Discussion

is anyone as plain as me?!

prospect

• "I'll charm you yet..."
    • View Profile
Re: is anyone as plain as me?!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2004, 10:05:29 AM »
The future Mrs. Prospect is a lawyer herself, & we were discussing her job one night when she said, "You'd probably enjoy this a lot more than I do."  It's funny: she sees me as being very brave for changing careers & I see her as being brave for helping me do it. 

I will be 38 when I graduate, she will be 37, so if all goes well, a kid is definitely in the works during my schooling.  The long term plan would be that she would stay home or work at her convenience once I start working again. 

It's interesting hearing your perspective, as I said.  I wouldn't do it differently if I were you.  You're supposed to be better with your SO than without them.  If they don't support & challenge you, you can't let them hold you back.

Nylo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2004, 11:02:25 AM »
Redsox, I think you and your bf will be having some serious talks about "The Future" very soon, esp. when you get into schools in a different city. I would imagine that after spending 4+ yrs together (5 by the time you start law school), you guys would be able to decide whether or not marriage is the logical next step, thus limiting your choice of schools geographically.

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 11:30:54 AM »
Come on now, we are trying to become lawyers, not astronauts

lol  :P
That's what my PS was about.

sejul

• I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2004, 11:44:28 AM »
;)do you really think that is something I should write about? 

and why is this so hard (ps)?   ;)

Anyway, come to Jesus is definitely what I am in for too....it's odd living together and knowing it but not speaking about it.  He drops hints all the time though...how he wants to move back to New England...we are in Florida now.

I'm in a very similar situation. My SO wants to move wherever I get into law school, and I'm just not sure that I'm really ready for that.  It makes you really reflect on your priorities, in that if I stayed here, I don't know that I would question staying together, but when you think about moving halfway around the country, you have to look at things completely differently, because you're uprooting someone from their life.  That's a lot of responsibility.

Nylo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2004, 02:24:46 PM »
Sej, you are not "uprooting" anyone from anything. If your SO does decide to move with you, this is HIS/HER decision. Don't take responsibility for something that you're really not responsible for. On the other hand, if you truly don't see long-term potential for the two of you, then you need to come clean before the big move.

sejul

• I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2004, 02:31:20 PM »
I think the difficulty is that my SO wants to live with me, while I just don't think I'm ready for that.  I don't think that I want to live with someone and be that serious yet, but my SO won't consider moving unless we're going to be living together.  It's a huge miscommunication on my part, certainly, but I don't know what to do. I really care about this person, and the "move" is to a yet-to-be-determined locale and won't take place for a year, so it seems a bit premature to be talking about this, but it's kind of weighing on me already because I know it's inevitable.

Sej, you are not "uprooting" anyone from anything. If your SO does decide to move with you, this is HIS/HER decision. Don't take responsibility for something that you're really not responsible for. On the other hand, if you truly don't see long-term potential for the two of you, then you need to come clean before the big move.

eklmu

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2004, 11:28:39 AM »
The future Mrs. Prospect is a lawyer herself, & we were discussing her job one night when she said, "You'd probably enjoy this a lot more than I do."  It's funny: she sees me as being very brave for changing careers & I see her as being brave for helping me do it. 

I will be 38 when I graduate, she will be 37, so if all goes well, a kid is definitely in the works during my schooling.  The long term plan would be that she would stay home or work at her convenience once I start working again. 

It's interesting hearing your perspective, as I said.  I wouldn't do it differently if I were you.  You're supposed to be better with your SO than without them.  If they don't support & challenge you, you can't let them hold you back.

that's really brave of you, not sure if i'd have the guts to be doing law school at your age, but nonetheless i admire your decision to follow your desires. worst thing you could do in life is not explore every last avenue. best of luck with everything.

Thor

• God of Thunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2004, 02:09:12 PM »
So, not to bring this thread back to the original point or anything, I just thought I'd commiserate with redsox over my own pathetically boring college life. Lets see....I have worked part time through maybe 2/3 of school. A lot of that work was with kids, so I guess that's kinda interesting, but it's not like I was helping orphan children find a new home or anything. And..... I played IM tennis for 2 years. And......ummm..... I guess that's it. I do read a ridiculous amount, but I don't think I can put that in the EC section. I also have flirted with mild addictions to poker, scrabble and chess, but why would I join a club when I can just play online (hmmm, maybe I can write my PS about how I'm an antisocial nerd). To top it all off, I'm not particularly creative, so my PS might just become a POS without my much more creative GFs help. I am a pretty good writer (or so my mother tells me) so I guess I'll just have to try my best to explain how sleeping 5 hours a night throughout college gave me a new sense of perspective. It's rather odd to reflect back on when I applied to undergraduate schools and had so many ECs and other interesting life experiences that I couldn't decide what to write me essays about (I settled for the influence playing jazz trombone had on my life. Of course I haven't touched it since highschool). I'm beginning to annoy myself when I tell people about how great and interesting I used to be. Sigh...

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2004, 03:34:24 PM »
We're all pretty unremarkable and insignificant in the big scheme of things. Even the folks who got those White House internships or have 180 LSAT scores always have a rival somewhere on the horizon who matches their achievements.

I look in the mirror and I see a guy who is happy and handsome.

Thor

• God of Thunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 04:03:03 PM »
Oh no, I'm not super handsome either!!! Maybe I should try and start a male version of "The Swan." It'll have to be low budget, so maybe me and a few other "beauty challenged" guys can just perform the surgery on eachother. Now that would be an interesting PS topic.