is anyone as plain as me?!
« on: November 16, 2004, 08:08:01 AM »

;)

waxman

• 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
Re: is anyone as plain as me?!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 08:13:22 AM »
Just write about what you are passionate about. Despite what many seem to believe, the adcomms are not looking for the best sob story, they want to get to know you and see they want to see how well you write. A PS that is well-written and shows a lot of passion will work well. Don't worry so much about it. Just be yourself and you'll be fine!

sejul

• I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 08:15:44 AM »
I think that there are plenty of "unremarkable" candidates out there who will make great attorneys one day.  You don't have to have suffered considerable hardship or have a great sob story or have cured leprosy in baby monkeys to get into law school.  And what's even better, you've made this realization a year before you apply.  Go do something to make yourself a great candidate!

And I promise you're not boring--it's easy to get a little down on yourself when you read about the amazing things some of the people on this board have done/experienced.  A lot of this is based on perspective; chances are you've done some incredible things and just don't realize it (i.e. working your way through school).  Further, you've got to remember that a lot of the people that make an effort to spend time on a law school discussion board in order to better their chances for law school acceptance and success are the exceptions to the majority of the applicant pool.  Most people go it alone when applying for law school, and while they have the benefit of never having to question their "boringness" in comparison to others,  the people here and on similar boards have the advantage of getting a lot of outside help and alternate perspective on the whole application process, from LSAT to letters to personal statement, etc.  And remember--you're NOT boring!!!

buster

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 08:18:07 AM »
Come on now, sej, let's be realistic -- she might actually be boring.  ;)

...And remember--you're NOT boring!!!

waxman

• 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 08:19:37 AM »

Come on now, we are trying to become lawyers, not astronauts. Which one of us isn't boring?

sejul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 08:19:53 AM »

Buster...seriously. I know she's boring, you know she's boring, but I like to spread cheer wherever I go.  It's what we interesting people do.  Give her a break.

...aww! Only kidding!!!  :-*

sejul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 08:20:56 AM »

Come on now, we are trying to become lawyers, not astronauts. Which one of us isn't boring?

True...although it's not like we're all studying to become CPAs.  We've got one up on those losers! Am I right? Right?  Anybody?!?

waxman

• 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:21:53 AM »

True...although it's not like we're all studying to become CPAs.  We've got one up on those losers! Am I right? Right?  Anybody?!?

You've got a point there. That is... unless tax law is your thing.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 08:24:03 AM »
I have an undyling love for the red sox, that there makes me a great candidate :)

waxman

• 3.54 / 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 08:25:53 AM »
I have an undyling love for the red sox, that there makes me a great candidate :)

Yeah.... just don't go putting that on your PS.  ;)