Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laser Eye Treatment?  (Read 808 times)

alexbp

• View Profile
    • Email
Laser Eye Treatment?
« on: November 16, 2004, 01:59:11 AM »
I have heard this is really popular nowadays. Anyone know anyone who went through this treatment and now has 20/20 vision? Probably my main question in regards to this is whether or not the 20/20 is supposed to last permanently or if it is only for a short time until the person's vision starts getting worse again? Also, how costly is it and is possible to get insurance to cover part of it? Is is too young to get this treatment at say 19, or 20? Or is it meant for older folks (i.e mid 20's and up)? In any case, I would still probably get it. I am seriously considering the treatment because I am getting tired of my glasses/contacts and I have heard it is so successful nowadays.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

jayhawk

Re: Laser Eye Treatment?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 02:29:58 AM »
My sister had it done a few years ago, when she was 20.  At the time, it cost around $2000 and insurance didn't cover it.  The cost may have gone down a bit since then, I'm  not sure.  She definitely had a great experience with it.  Her vision is now better than 20/20, and she hasn't had any complications or anything.  If I were you, I'd definitely look into it.  It's a great idea if you can afford it.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:47:15 AM »
my bf's friend had it done and woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't see anything (and not just because it was night).  also at night when he's driving, he sees weird blue spots.

most of the lasik treatments are successful, but it's something like 99%.  it's easier for me to say this since i don't wear glasses or contacts, but i don't think it's worth a 1% risk of having vision problems after the fact.  vision is just far too important.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

debstar

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 03:53:40 AM »
My optomalogist forbids me to undergo Lasik until I'm in my late 20s.  She says that vision constantly changes until you hit 30 so it's better to wait until it stabilizes.  And also since the technology get more and more refined as the years go by.  But I do know how you feel about being tired of wearing contacts/glasses.  To be able to wake up in the middle of the night and see my alarm clock clearly without rummaging around for my glasses would be divine.  :-\

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 07:37:27 AM »
I've actually had this done.

There's a couple of points that people brought up that need to be addressed.

First, I love it.  I'd needed glasses since I was in 3rd grade.  I had an astigmatism (sp?), and had horrid vision.  I needed special contact lenses when I eventually got contacts that were $150-200 a lens.  I couldn't seen *anything* and it really sucked because in HS I was a swimmer (not good with contacts) and a long and triple jumper (sand + contact lenses = horridness).

I had it done just before I turned 21.  My perscription hadn't changed for 3 years, so I was stable enough to have it done.  I was 20/20 afterwards, but in teh last year or so, I think my eyes have gotten a bit worse.  Like, I could use glasses just when watching TV, b/c the menu/TV listings are a bit hard to see.  So I'm probably 20/40 or something slightly off like that.  Compared to how I used to be (couldn't even see what time it was in teh middle of the night without reach for my glasses), I'll still take it.

If you decide to have it done, make absolutely sure that you go to a doctor that has done tons of procedures.  The more experience, the better.  The reason Pookie's friend's bf gets halos at night is because they didn't do a great job.  If they don't "correct" enough of your cornea, when your pupils widen at night, they expand beyond the corrected area, so part of what you're seeing is "out of focus" if that makes sense.  It's almost entirely preventable if they correct enough of your cornea.

Also, going to an experienced doctor ensures you won't get the surgery if you aren't a good candidate for it.  If your vision is still changing, or there's something about your eyes or there's some added risk factor, a good doc will tell you so, and not recommend it.

And, often, good doctors will do free "touchups" within 1 year of the initial surgery, if your vision deteriorates a bit.  Mine also does touchups after that year on both eyes for $400.  So I may wait a bit, and see if I can get my dad to cover part of that cost, and go again right before law school.  The only problem is that my doctor is in Buffalo, and I am not.

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 11:31:06 AM »
How much did the original surgery cost?

caliboy345

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 12:37:27 PM »
I had it done in Feb.  I was a little nervous about the risks, but there are no DOCUMENTED cases of anyone going perm. blind.

It cost me about $2200.  I used a healthcare flex spending to bring the cost down.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 12:43:31 PM »
I had it done in Feb.  I was a little nervous about the risks, but there are no DOCUMENTED cases of anyone going perm. blind.

It cost me about $2200.  I used a healthcare flex spending to bring the cost down.

it's Caliboy!  The avatar from hell!

ZAP

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 01:16:11 PM »
I think mine was like $1600.  It's usually billed as "per eye".  The guy who did mine ranges from $600-$800 an eye.  Since I had an astigmatism, it was the most expensive, since the precedure is slightly different and involves more time under the laser (like, 5 seconds longer per eye).  If you're just near-sighted, and have a normal, round cornea, it should be a little cheaper.

alexbp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 02:48:23 PM »
Two things. I think I got some good and bad news.

1) Wow. I had no idea it was that cheap. Seriously. I was willing to cough up 5-10 k easily. It is that important to me because I spend most of my time outdoors playing basketball, hiking, etc. That, and, I just don't feel very good in my glasses and contacts just hurt my eyes.

2) Is it true that it is only recommended for patients who have their vision already stabilized? If so, then wouldn't getting the procedure done at 20 be impossible since I heard that vision keeps on changing till about 30 or so. A few of you mentioned you were in your early 20's, but I believe someone said they had to wait until they hit 30? I know my vision is not very stable because I can tell every year my vision gets a little bit worse.  :'(