Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you need to include when reporting violations?  (Read 686 times)

lah05

• View Profile
What do you need to include when reporting violations?
« on: November 15, 2004, 09:41:34 PM »
I have received two speeding tickets (don't know the exact dates) and received a minor consumption of alcohol when I was 19.  How much do I need to tell law schools about each incident when I report it and does anyone know who to contact to get an offense report?  Does it cost money?  Do I need to explain what I've learned from the situations or anything?     
Attending:  Indiana University-Bloomington
Go Hoosiers!

desi

Re: What do you need to include when reporting violations?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 09:55:43 PM »
full disclosure, means state everything.  for speeding tickets, just give a statement of facts.  for the alcohol thing, you might want to throw in a line about an alcohol class you took afterwards...

but you have to disclose everything.  unless you are a mass murderer or have multiple DUI, i doubt it will affect your chances of getting into LS.  some of my classmates have rich pseudo-criminal backgrounds.

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 10:17:03 PM »
Thanks for the response, but I'm still a little uncertain.  I understand that you have to state everything, but what I don't understand is what everything includes.  How detailed of a description of the circumstances of the actual occurrence would I need to include? 

As an example, if I were to simply state that I was charged with a minor consumption of alcohol on January 1, 2008 on my college's campus and that I payed a fine to the county (I didn't have to attend any classes), would that be acceptable or would I need to go into greater detail? 

Also, I'm assuming that dates would need to be reported in the facts that you include for speeding tickets as well, but I'm not completely certain about the year that I received one of the tickets much less the exact day.  Does anyone know (other than online) where you can go to get a report of traffic violations?  Would a police station be able to provide a person with such a record?  I only have an hour or so to call somewhere go off campus from 8-5 during the week and I don't want to go on a wild goose chase to try and hunt this info down.

I'd like to add that I'm very impressed if no one on this board has received a minor traffic violation, I'm beginning to feel like a bad person... 
Go Hoosiers!

desi

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:21:06 PM »
umm, i received PLENTY of tickets in my life.  yes, exact dates are important.  you might be able to pay someone to do a background check on you (like $50) and it should uncover it all.

as to the alcohol thing, what you stated was fine.  just a statement of facts, and whatever the penalty was (and if it was a misdemeanor, felony, slap on the ass, etc)

Tortman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 10:39:19 PM »
I don't think you need to report speeding tickets.  Of course, the particular school you are applying to may be different, but I don't think violations are criminal acts and thus do not need to be reported.

desi

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:47:59 PM »
depemds on the school.  I remember one asked for any moving violation over $100.  Which ticket is for LESS than $100?

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 10:49:22 PM »
Most of the applications I'm filling out ask that you disclose minor traffic violations along with everything else.  After arguing with a friend about what a minor traffic violation might be, I decided to look it up online and most sites listed speeding as an example of a minor traffic violation.  Although I don't really think that going 10 mph over in a 55 mph zone signifies a huge character flaw, I'm going to suck it up and report the speeding tickets.  
Go Hoosiers!

dr_draino

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 10:50:36 PM »
depemds on the school.  I remember one asked for any moving violation over $100.  Which ticket is for LESS than $100?

Actually most...the court cost is usually what puts it over 100.  Most fines are usually 10-50 unless you're speeding in a construction zone or something.  I'd think you would only consider the fine associated with the offense, not the court-cost in determining the sub-100 dollars.

lah05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 10:55:09 PM »
Fines actually vary from state to state.  In my state the lowest you can pay is like $135, but across the state line you can pay $25 for a speeding ticket. 
Go Hoosiers!

Gummo

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 10:58:05 PM »
Most of the applications I'm filling out ask that you disclose minor traffic violations along with everything else.  After arguing with a friend about what a minor traffic violation might be, I decided to look it up online and most sites listed speeding as an example of a minor traffic violation.  Although I don't really think that going 10 mph over in a 55 mph zone signifies a huge character flaw, I'm going to suck it up and report the speeding tickets.  

What schools?  I know Bama and Tulane asked, but I applied to many others and can't recall coming across any others.