Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR help  (Read 661 times)

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
LR help
« on: November 15, 2004, 08:09:32 PM »
Can anyone help with this LR question, it is from the June 03 LSAT Section 3 (2nd LR)

People who have doctorates in the liberal arts are interested in improving their intellects. Companies, however, rarely hire people who are not concerned with the financial gain that can be obtained by hard work in the business world. As a result, companies rarely hire people who have doctorates in the liberal arts.

The conclusion of the argument follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A) Companies would hire people with doctorates in the liberal arts if such people were interested in the money available in the business world.

B) Some people who are interested in the liberal arts do not care about money.

C) The only people not interested in making money in the business world are people who are interested in improving their intellects.

D) People with doctorates in the liberal arts are interested in employment in the business world.

E) Only people not concerned with making money in the business world are interested in improving their intellects.

shine on

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LR help
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 08:12:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure its E.

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 08:14:37 PM »
You are right it is E

I had put down A originally. I cant seem to grasp why A is not correct and E is correct

Any help with how you got to the answer would be appreciated
shine on

trogdor

• Sr. Citizen
  • the BURNINATOR!
    • View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 08:16:43 PM »
it's not a because there are other factors that could influence the decision on whether or not a company would hire an individual other than whether or not they are interested in making money in the business world. you would have to assume that is the only reason, and we all know what happens when you assume. 
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." Orwell

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 08:19:10 PM »
yep, its E.

you can diagram like this:

liberal arts ---> improve intellect
ASSUMPTION: improve intellect --> ~concerned with money(choice E)
~concerned with money ---> ~hired
----------------------------------
conclusion: liberal arts ---> ~hired

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 08:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the help.

Any advice on how to approach these types of problems?
shine on

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 08:20:30 PM »
A is wrong because it only explains why companies would hire someone. It doesn't say that people with doctorates are not converned with money.

Besides that, I picked off A immediately because it doesnt sound like the right answer. Correct answers are almost never that vague. In Logical assumption questions, the correct answer is usually pretty straight forward and fills the logical void.

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 08:23:24 PM »
I forgot to mention: I don't know how far you are on with your prep, but the more practice tests and practice questions you do, you'll be able to pick answers like A off just because there is something weird about them. At least for me, getting better feel for questions helped me on speed.

ucsblaw8

• Jammin' in SB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 08:25:00 PM »
thanks everyone ;)
shine on

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 08:27:58 PM »
with these sufficient assumption questions, you generally do not want "weak" wording in the answer choice like "Companies would hire people..."  usually the answer will go a little overboard with justifying the conclusion, so it will be something like "only these people..." or "all of these...."