Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany or Mcgeorge?  (Read 2301 times)

thechoson

Re: Albany or Mcgeorge?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 03:27:37 PM »
Do you guys think that a retake of LSAT will improve my chance of transfer to a UC school after the first year?
I ask this because I am sure that I can get a better score than 165 now.

Well if you think you can score over 165, and want to transfer, why not just wait a year, and try to get admitted to a UC to start with.  I mean, if your money troubles will also be a bit alleviated after a year, this seems to make sense

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 03:34:52 PM »
It does make sense. But I do not like the idea of waiting for an admission for another year. I mean I do not feel good in this whole process.

thechoson

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2004, 06:38:17 PM »
What do you not feel good about? You have very solid numbers, you are confident you can get that LSAT up, things look good for you.  ;)

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2004, 06:44:35 PM »
I was once graduated from a foreign law school and I have been a prosecutor for three years. I got great satisfaction from my work. But now I have to get a degree in order to start a career here. I do not feel good about staying at home, no satisfaction and no income. It is really sad.

lstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 07:00:12 PM »
Well, medical doctors from other countries, especially those in the developing world, find themselves having to return to medical school when they move to the US to be a doctor here.  I guess you should be happy that law school is 3 years, as opposed to medical school's 4 years plus residency...

Can you go for an LLM?  I think with an LLM, a "foreign" lawyer may practice in the US, but maybe I am completely wrong here...

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 07:06:29 PM »
You are right. I can pursue a LL.M. But it is more like an introductory course to the lawyers from a different legal system.

thechoson

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 07:25:53 PM »
Well since you have experience in law, I don't know, maybe that'll be an advantage?  You might already know what it takes to get the job done in law school, so maybe you'll do well and then you can transfer.  As per the original question, I'd still recommend you go to McGeorge.  Then again, I don't know which foreign country you are from, or whether you'd still want ties with that country.  If you are from a Pacific-Rim country, then going to McGeorge, becoming a lawyer here in California and working at an international type of firm or company dealing with the Pacific-Rim may make you very valuable.  Conversely, New York may put you at an advantage over in Europe and that side of the globe, I don't know, which country are you from?

50 Lifter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 07:34:35 PM »
I am a little confused, were you a lawyer in your home country?  If so, I don't understand why you would persue a JD rather than an LLM.  If you were not a lwyer, than you would not be eligible for an LLM.

I would also add that it is genreally very unwise to "plan" on a transfer after your first year.  Your transfer options will be based more or less emtirely on your first year grades.  You may be confident now in your ability to do well in law school, but you will find that there are many in law school who share your confidence.  Even if you do well and end up in the top 15%, or 10% for that matter, you are in no way guaranteed admission anywhere as a transfer. Remember, there may only be two or three tranfer spots at any given school, and in this busy law school application season it stands to reason that there will be very few seats coming available at many schools.  A lot of scholls didn't have any second year seatrs available this past year.

You should always choose your law school wiht the idea that you will most likely spend your entire three years there, don't count on the transfer.

Again, I would urge you to attend a CA school, and wait out a year if you need to, but don't attend a regional school in the wrong region (Albany).

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 08:02:52 PM »
I am a little confused, were you a lawyer in your home country?  If so, I don't understand why you would persue a JD rather than an LLM.  If you were not a lawyer, than you would not be eligible for an LLM.

To be eligible for a LL.M., you only need a law degree in foreign countries, not necessary that you are a lawyer or not. I am an attorney in China, though.

I also agree with you regarding confidence. But to succeed in an American law school is something that I really like to try.

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2004, 08:09:17 PM »
Thanks, thechosen
You really make things clear for me.  :)
Now I only hope I will get good news from Davis. I will have a better choice then.