Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany or Mcgeorge?  (Read 2227 times)

seamaid

• View Profile
Albany or Mcgeorge?
« on: April 09, 2004, 01:58:01 PM »
Hello all. I am new on this site. Now my choice of this fall narrowed to Albany and Mcgeorge. I got $24,000 scholarship from Albany, while only $12,000 from Mcgeorge, CA. I have not been to both of the schools.
I am planning to practice in the bay area after graduation. Can anyone give me some advice on my choice? Thanks.

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Albany or Mcgeorge?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 02:04:44 PM »

How ever did u come about narrowing it down to a schools on both coasts?  I will be attending Albany in the fall... what were your numbers? I live very close to the school and have visited several times, if you would liek to discuss anything about ALS feel free to contact me via email CORLI1@aol.com

C.

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:17:48 PM »
If you want to practice in the bay area, go to school in the bay area, unless youre going to harvar/yale, etc. Your 2 schools are local and that needds to be a huge factor in your decision

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 02:32:21 PM »
My LSAT is 160, GPA is 3.73. Because I am an international student, I can not apply for loans. I narrowed my selection to these two schools because they offered me scholarships. Now I live in bay area, and I can only afford to go to Mcgeorge with some scholarship. I have to decline the admission from Loyola, Santa Clara and USF.

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 02:52:06 PM »
Some friends told me about stories of transferring from a tier 3 school to tier1 after the first year. But I do not know how much the possibility. Will it be easy if the GPA of the first year is high?

thechoson

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 02:58:41 PM »
If you want to practice in the bay area, go to school in the bay area, unless youre going to harvar/yale, etc. Your 2 schools are local and that needds to be a huge factor in your decision
I would totally agree.  If you want to practice in the Bay Area (and since you're already there, right?)  McGeorge is definitely the way to go.  Money seems to be a factor in your decision, you might want to remember that compared to much of California, Sacramento is kind of affordable, so there's an extra plus for you.

As far as transferring from 3 to 1 tier, this has come up frequently on the boards.  Very tough, very hard, top 10 percent of you class to at least have a chance.  If this is what you want to do, I'd say contact schools that you'd have a realistic shot at transferring to, and which are in locations you like.  I think UC Hastings is a first tier school that would be an excellent fit for you, if you wish to transfer.  You might want to contact them and see how many transfers they take, what their medians are, blah blah blah.  The only concern I would have about transferring in your case is you already seem burdened by money.  If you transfer, you probably will not get any scholarships.

dnw2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 03:05:33 PM »
thechosen:

How do you that UC Hastings will be a good fit for seamaid?  Just wondering?

50 Lifter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 03:11:44 PM »
This isn't even a contest really.  Even though Albany has offered more money, you will be severely regionally limited in terms of where you will be able to seek employment. 

Albany has a 0% placement rate in the Pacific region, McGeorge has a 93% placement there. Albany literally places NO graduates in CA.  Not to mention that McGeorge actually has fairly good CA bar passage as well, higher than the state average.

If you really want to work in California, Albany will prove to be seriously detrimental to your future prospects.

You should either attend McGeorge or wait out a year and apply to more CA schools, perhaps after a LSAT retake.

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 03:17:09 PM »
hi, thechosen
Thank you very much for your advice. I do worry about money now. But I think my situation will get better after the first year.
Hastings is my first choice school, but I was just rejected. So, I do not think my chance to transfer is very optimistic.
Now I am still pending in Davis and I have a waitlist in U Penn. Sometimes it is weird for us foreign students to understand the evaluation process from American schools. You can probably get an admission from the top school, while being rejected from a much lower ranked one. And I am a little confused about what really matters in this process?

seamaid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 03:22:25 PM »
Do you guys think that a retake of LSAT will improve my chance of transfer to a UC school after the first year?
I ask this because I am sure that I can get a better score than 165 now.