Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BU or Emory??? Need help  (Read 960 times)

showmesomething

• View Profile
    • Email
BU or Emory??? Need help
« on: April 09, 2004, 01:47:07 PM »
I am trying to decide between Emory and BU.  I am from Philly and would ultimately like to end up back in the north although i wouldnt mind working in atlanta for a few years.  I have visited both and much preferred the scene at Emory.  However, BU, has offered me 10k a year for all three years while Emory has offered me nothing.  I think that I would be happiest at Emory for the next three years but BU might be the better long term choice.  BU is scary because I didnt find the people there extremely friendly and that seems to be the general consensus.  Thoughts?

nola8688

• Sr. Citizen
  • THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
Re: BU or Emory??? Need help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 01:49:56 PM »
Friendly shmendly. Take the cash...

OR : Call emory and use your BU $ to convince them to give you $$$.
Rise and shine and give off your glory glory!!!

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:23:41 PM »
They're pretty much equally ranked so I'd make the choice based on money and location.  Even though BU is closer to Philly than Emory, I don't think that BU would be that much better for Philly than Emory.  I'd also look at the opportunities to get on a journal at both schools (meaning how many journals are there and whether those journals publish more than just one or two student notes).  BTW, it's hard to know what a school is like until you're actually there.  The schools are so similarly ranked that I'm certain the student body is fairly similar.  From what I understand Emory attracts a lot of northerners. 

ebrumm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 03:31:48 PM »
You HAVE to call and use the cash to get some $$ from Emory - whats there to lose? Give it a try, I bet it will be worthwhile

Prince Rondavel

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 04:52:50 PM »
I've lived in Atlanta or Athens my entire life and I am now moving to NYC to go to law school.  Why anyone would want to live in Atlanta is beyond me.

Admittedly, Emory is near the best parts of the city: Decatur/Little 5 Points/W Ponce/E Atlanta.  But the problem with the area around Emory is that it is surrounded by upper middle class white folk yuppie types, or, as we call them down here, Emorrhoids.

The rest of the surrounding city is an extremely traffic congested suburban wasteland.

P.R. 

jgruber

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 06:27:31 PM »
I grew up outside Philly, so I kinda have a feel for that.

I've worked short term in Boston, at BU as a matter of fact.  I liked Boston.  The T is great, the people were OK most of the time and occasionally great.

Being from Philly, you're used to diversity of cuisine, but I've been in the south for a million years and loved the food in Boston.  Atlanta is a nice city, but it can't compare to Boston for my money.  If diversity of food and culture is important to you, think twice about Atlanta.

<disclaimer>By the way, this is not a criticism of Atlanta or the south.  It is just one old man's opinion about relative diversity.  </disclaimer>

;)

BrieGersh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 06:37:57 PM »
If you want to ever work on the West Coast, BU has a better name with lawyers here in LA. Just thought I would give you my two cents. -Brie