Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is the Paper Chase accurate?  (Read 4445 times)

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is the Paper Chase accurate?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2004, 10:18:56 PM »
siyang...i think teachers don't get the respect they should have because, observationally speaking, it seems that a lot of them are so frustrated by the system these days and the kids coming thru it that they've lost that initial passion or desire to actually teach.

that's what i loved about my teachers. they ALWAYS had that desire to make me a better person as well as student growing up and believe you me, i didn't grow up in the best city in Indiana. :p (lol) but they drove me because they had the drive in them. they had the passion to teach in them no matter what they had to go thru.

i wish more teachers would actually make some gallons of lemonade out of the lemons they've been handed over the past umpteen years! then maybe students would start showing respect for their teachers again.

of course a little help from the parentals wouldn't hurt either...but that's a whole 'nuther soapbox that i'm not gonna get on. lol

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 10:50:28 PM »
I graduated from Trenton State in 83, before it got on its high horse and changed its name.  I was very happy with my education there.

What's your major? If it's pol sci say hello to the department.  I was the graduate assistant for a short time.

Weird coincidence. I'm a philosophy major, classical studies and psych minor (formerly a psych major, I switched out after I was done with all the hard classes *smacks forehead*).  I never took a poly sci class, but I'm friendly with Darryl Fair.  I don't know if you knew him, but he's a really nice guy.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 12:28:34 AM »
Ok, for what it's worth: I am told by other law students that, yes, they applaud their professors because the students honestly respect and appreciate their profs, who by the way, are actual lawyers, often with impeccable resume's. A lot of successful lawyers become profs because they honestly have affection for the old alma mater and because it's not a bad way to semi-retire at the end of a great career. They make room for the new, upcoming tigers and relax by becoming profs. I believe law school profs are MUCH higher quality than most undergrad profs, but that's a crude generalization. Check out the resume's on the faculty at the law schools you are interested in. I think you will be impressed. More so if you actually talk with some of them. They ain't stupid.
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius

dta

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 01:31:41 AM »
hey zpops - you applying straight from undergrad or have you earned a living w/ your phil degree? If so, how? Just curious - I majored in phil as well. Then hussled out a living as a software developer for 7 years. Great thing about a phil major - after plumbing through Heidegger's Being and Time everything else seems easy in comparison!  :)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 12:07:35 PM »
I'm heading straight on from ugrad.  I'm still in school mode, so I figure I might as well make the most of it. 
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

jgruber

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 04:05:02 PM »
I knew him and liked him.  I liked all the pol sci department. 

I especially like Dr. Sullivan's classes.

I took two philosophy courses from Dr. Winston and enjoyed them very much.

I graduated from Trenton State in 83, before it got on its high horse and changed its name.  I was very happy with my education there.

What's your major? If it's pol sci say hello to the department.  I was the graduate assistant for a short time.

Weird coincidence. I'm a philosophy major, classical studies and psych minor (formerly a psych major, I switched out after I was done with all the hard classes *smacks forehead*).  I never took a poly sci class, but I'm friendly with Darryl Fair.  I don't know if you knew him, but he's a really nice guy.

habeas_dorkus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 04:31:34 PM »
I've been trying to rent The Paper Chase, but I haven't found it at the three video stores near me. Unless there's a "Law" section in these stores that I haven't seen...

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004, 09:41:30 PM »
I knew him and liked him.  I liked all the pol sci department. 

I especially like Dr. Sullivan's classes.

I took two philosophy courses from Dr. Winston and enjoyed them very much.

Mort's a great guy, but I actually never had a class with him.  I've been a weird phil major, cause I've only had a small number of profs for lots of classes, and I've done independent work.  I'm considered one of the best students to ever go through the department, and I only know some of the profs there in passing, lol

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 09:11:21 AM »
I went to Rutgers for Electrical Engineering. I think that's why I don't revere profs. Ours spent 3 1/2 years trying to fail us out (over 2/3 of my class was gone by graduation). I am definately hoping that law school is different and that I can actually speak with my profs and get to know them.

For all who asked... I gre up in Connecticut but I now live and work in Piscataway.
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jgruber

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 04:29:43 PM »
Mort's a great guy, but I actually never had a class with him.  I've been a weird phil major, cause I've only had a small number of profs for lots of classes, and I've done independent work.  I'm considered one of the best students to ever go through the department, and I only know some of the profs there in passing, lol

His classes were great.  I worked swing shift while going to school there.  Swing shift destroys your sleep.   Most classes I had to work hard just to stay awake.  Not his.