Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is the Paper Chase accurate?  (Read 4405 times)

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
Is the Paper Chase accurate?
« on: April 09, 2004, 12:57:11 PM »
So I rented The Paper Chase last night. It's a good movie and I definately recommend it if you want to get a glimpse of law school life. What struck me was how all of the students gave the professor a standing ovation on the last day of classes. Does anyone know if this is standard protocol at law schools? Is this something that is done at upity schools like Haaavaaad? I don't be the only tool clapping on the last day of class...
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

andywp8

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.2, 165 LSAT, going to Loyola w/full ride
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Paper Chase accurate?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 02:08:56 PM »
i thought the guy in the movie was wierd.  He was OBSESSED with his contracts professor.  He did seem to have a lot of free time in the movie though.

thechoson

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:54:35 PM »
i thought the guy in the movie was wierd.  He was OBSESSED with his contracts professor.  He did seem to have a lot of free time in the movie though.

Yea, Hart's obsession with Kingsfield was a bit strange... I think it seemed he had a lot of free time because it only focused on those moments where he was f-ing around.  There were moments like his first day there where he put in five hours of study, or pulling an all nighter all weekend for the fruitless research on Kingsfield's treatise.

NerdyLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 03:50:43 PM »
I don't have a great reverence for professors. I don't see them as being anything that is so special since if I wasn't there in class, the professor would be meaningless.

"Those who can, do. The others, teach."
 - Mark Levin
EE at Rutgers - 3.5/164
There are 10 types of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 04:51:42 PM »
njlawguy ~ what part of jersey are you from?
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 05:12:25 PM »
I'm curious too.  I'm a jersey boy through and through.  I'm from Roxbury (morris county), and I go to the college of new jersey (formerly trenton state).
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

siyang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 05:34:29 PM »
I don't have a great reverence for professors. I don't see them as being anything that is so special since if I wasn't there in class, the professor would be meaningless.

- Mark Levin

Sigh.  Why do people not give teachers the respect they deserve?

jgruber

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 09:03:38 PM »
I graduated from Trenton State in 83, before it got on its high horse and changed its name.  I was very happy with my education there.

What's your major? If it's pol sci say hello to the department.  I was the graduate assistant for a short time.

I'm curious too.  I'm a jersey boy through and through.  I'm from Roxbury (morris county), and I go to the college of new jersey (formerly trenton state).

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »
Those who can, do.  Those who can't go into management.  Those who understand what they do, teach. 

- Mark Levin

jgruber

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 09:33:08 PM »
Perhaps the truth about Harvard Law School lies somewhere between One L and Legally Blond.

:D