Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: which PS to send?  (Read 389 times)

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
which PS to send?
« on: November 14, 2004, 03:17:17 PM »
i have 2 PSes written and i do not know which one to send.
option 1) a rather generic "why law" PS, which does focus on my broad range of interests, etc, but nonetheless generic, since i dun really have a good answer to "why law"

option 2) about my emigration to the US, living without my father who toiled away in korea for the family, etc. definitely more of a "personal" statement, but nonetheless does not at all answer the question of "why law" or anything.

what do you think? in terms of style and such they are both of similar quality

mchek

Re: which PS to send?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 03:20:40 PM »
Option 2. It's more important to have a really strong personal statement. I don't think it's necessary to address "why law" or any specific topic. You sound more confident in statement #2 which tells me that it is probably the stronger of the two.

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 07:42:18 PM »
on a similar note, does everyone's PS usually tend to gravitate toward, or at least somehow bring it back to, the whole "why law" question? or is ignoring that question altogether not suicidal?

TriStateB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 07:53:24 PM »

I think to an extent that question HAS to be answered, but some sample personal statements I've read seem to answer that question just by showing rather than telling. The writer doesn't seem to ever say, "I want to go to law school because _____," but rather he or she will provides a compelling enough example that somehow demonstrates to adcomms that all the right characteristics for studying law are there.... it's so difficult to do this, though.

Well, I guess this doesn't so much answer your question as it does echo your frustration. Yeah, I'm in the same boat, though. Good luck.