Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Real Estate Law  (Read 2204 times)

F05HOPEFUL

Re: Real Estate Law
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »
What is a TI premium?
 ???

Title insurance

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 09:14:12 PM »
As far as title insurance, the lawyer basically researches the deed of the land back to its beginning?  I am trying to understand what all a real estate lawyer does and how time consuming it can be.

PresClay_00

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 09:25:02 PM »
s/he hopes not.  once again, depends on the state and lender, but on purchases, most lenders require 35/40 year searches. for refinances, it's just a current owner search and 24 month chain of title.  some lenders also allow you to go to the previous title insurance policy (as that covers anything prior to its issuance) and search from that point forward, but older attys think that's a cheap way out.  the main thing is to find the deeds of trust on the property, see who really owns it, make sure all of them are either involved in the transaction, gave up their rights, or are dead, and also check judgments/special proceedings (small claims court) against those involved.  then to make sure that the new stuff goes on record as it's supposed to.

BAFF213

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2005, 09:33:33 PM »
Interesting thread.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2005, 10:28:06 PM »
The real estate lawyers I work for work their asses off, bill at between $105 - $250/hr. and seem like generally miserable people.
Nothing like beating your head into the ground for $200 an hour as a lawyer, generating maybe $10,000 worth of business, and have some 22 year old high school cheerleader collect $100,000 in commission on the sale. I think I'd be miserable too.  :P

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 10:31:37 PM »
tag
Attending: Texas

F05HOPEFUL

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 09:15:12 AM »
From what i've heard from a lawyer, solo practice real estate law is one of the two non-specialized types of law; intellecually driven, and machine driven. Whereas, in litigation, your whits more than your business skills drive your profit margins Real Estate is a whole different ballgame. 95% of what you do is the same old c_rap; you build a business machine that cranks in the clients, puts them through the same workover and you make money. If you fail to realize this, you probably won't make much money. Understand what type of law this is. If you want thinking, surviving and in general all out combat, this is not the field for you. If, on the otherhand you can warm up to about 400k for a well run business (higher if your excellent at it) and don't mind the repitition you'll do great.

Well spoken.  This is GREAT insight!

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2005, 12:50:18 PM »
Listen, here's the deal.  I've had this one specific experience.   :P

monimone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2005, 08:07:14 PM »

Question
If I were to become an associate in an Atlanta Real Esate firm how much money do you think I will make and what type of responsibilities will I have?
I will have attended UF College of Law.