Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boston College or USC  (Read 775 times)

kevinc

• GPA: 3.69, LSAT:165
    • View Profile
Boston College or USC
« on: April 09, 2004, 07:31:24 AM »
Hey y'all...

I need some advice. I don't know whether I should go to USC or BC. I know the first response I'll probably get is, where do you wanna work?

Well, I wanna work in Los Angeles, and eventually settle there. The issue, however, has nothing to do with where I want to live, but the amount of debt I'll be in upon graduation.

I know USC carries a strong rep in Southern California. There's no dispute that USC's a better choice for someone who wants to stay in Los Angeles. However, USC is offering me no scholarship money, which means I'll amass about 90,000 dollars in debt, by the time I graduate.

BC, however, is offering me 16,000 dollars in scholarship, renewable every year. So that amount, if it gets renewed every year, will come to about 48,000 dollars over the next three years.

So what should I do?

The perks of staying in Los Angeles are obvious. I get to live at home, which will save me about 10,000 bucks. And I'll get to attend a well-regarded regional school, in an area where I want to practice law. But, going to Boston, despite the living costs, will end up being much cheaper. What should i do?

Any advice would be helpful.

rcjackson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boston College or USC
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 09:54:34 AM »
I don't think that the money will be worth the huge difference in hireability in LA.  Especially once you factor in travel expenses (both now and during the job search), Boston rent and the fact going to BC sort of makes having a car a necessity unless you like hiking through the snow.  Really I think your rent alone will fill much of that gap.  You'll be much better off toward the bottom at USC in LA than from the middle at BC.

I got in trouble for saying this elsewhere, but I really was unimpressed with BC.  Have you visited?  I guess it takes a certain person to love the campus (it is separate from the rest of BC).  It's sort of secluded in an expensive neighborhood, it's not near a train line, and it can feel miles from Boston, even with a car.  The buildings are from the 60's and would be attrative but haven't been kept up very well. The view out of an entire side of the building (of course few of 1L classrooms have windows) is of a parking lot. I felt like I was revisiting my high school the whole time I was there. The new buildings are nothing architectural- just newer drywall and tables than the rest of the building.  There are undergrad dorms on the campus, and they share some facilities, like the cafeteria...which when i visited, was loud and crazy overflowing with 18 year old kids.

And, my favorite story- when I visited in October, there was water running all over the floor in one of the new buildings, and the students were just sloshing right through it like no big deal.  This little Mideastern girl on the tour asked our guide what the problem was, and she said- "I don't know, it's been like that all year."  I told this story to a friend of mine, who didn't believe it, but then when she went for the visitation day, there was a huge industrial sized dryer in that same spot!

Enzyme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 05:14:19 PM »
Given that you said if you went to NYC you could stay at home and save $10K a year, the difference between the schools is only $6K a year that is "Renewable". USC is higher ranked than BC, will give you a lot better shot at being in Cali without having to be at the top-top if things didnt go where you were at the top and you have that savings in the bag assuming you dont get kicked out of the house. At BC you have to get that renewability which by your scores should be easily achiveable, but its still something not guaranteed. For 6K a year, go with the better school and place for you...USC and you can see if they will give you some money b/c you are between them and BC and trying wont cost you anything.

Hey y'all...

I need some advice. I don't know whether I should go to USC or BC. I know the first response I'll probably get is, where do you wanna work?

Well, I wanna work in Los Angeles, and eventually settle there. The issue, however, has nothing to do with where I want to live, but the amount of debt I'll be in upon graduation.

I know USC carries a strong rep in Southern California. There's no dispute that USC's a better choice for someone who wants to stay in Los Angeles. However, USC is offering me no scholarship money, which means I'll amass about 90,000 dollars in debt, by the time I graduate.

BC, however, is offering me 16,000 dollars in scholarship, renewable every year. So that amount, if it gets renewed every year, will come to about 48,000 dollars over the next three years.

So what should I do?

The perks of staying in Los Angeles are obvious. I get to live at home, which will save me about 10,000 bucks. And I'll get to attend a well-regarded regional school, in an area where I want to practice law. But, going to Boston, despite the living costs, will end up being much cheaper. What should i do?

Any advice would be helpful.

sagemenscircle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 09:20:02 PM »
IF you want to work on the West Coast, go to school on the West Coast. If you want to work on the East Coast, work on the East Coast. Otherwise, you will find yourself unemployed, which is a bigger issue even than the debt. Getting employed means NETWORKING and that doesn't happen 3000 miles away from where you want to work. Period.
"Est unusquisque faber ipsae suae fortunae"
Every man is the architect of his own fortune.
Appius Claudius