Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted: U of Texas  (Read 5706 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted: U of Texas
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2004, 11:52:29 AM »
Do you think I'd be wasting my money applying to UT-Austin (out of state) with a 3.98/163 and 2 years work experience at a fortune 100? 

Numbers-wise it looks like it might be a waste, but their 25th-75th is 160 - 166, so that means the median is probably right around a 163 or 164.  I don't want to waste $70 if I don't have to--anyone think it's worth it?   

UT's mean LSAT is a 165. I read on another thread where a UT adm. officer told someone else on this site at a law school forum that the accepted stats for out-of-staters and Texas residents were very similar. I have no idea of the validity or truth of this statement, but I don't think (especially with your stats.) that you should be discouraged from applying just because you are not from Texas. Your LSAT is barely below the mean and your GPA is well above the 75 percentile. Why not?  423 people applied to UT last year with a 3.75+ GPA and a LSAT between 160-164.  173 of those people were accepted.  That is about a 40% acceptance rate for people in your range.  On top of that, both your GPA & your LSAT score are on the upper end of that spectrum.  I would say that you probably have a pretty good shot!  At least a good enough shot that it warrants an application!   

Also, another poster on this website was from out-of-state and got accepted with about a 3.0/163-171 LSAT split. Those may not be her exact stats, but they were pretty close to that.
Attending: Texas

BigTex

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »
Hey ElizaB. That's a very interesting background you have. Kudos to you for making it out of Matagorda. I used to surf a lot in high school so I had a bunch of good friends from Matagorda. These guys were all smart and capable fellows. When we talked about our futures I couldn't understand why they had decided to work at the local chemical plant rather than go to college. Of course, they had money issues. But it was more than just that. It's like the mentality of a small town like Matagorda is just to accept your fate of working at the local plant. It would have been sad if they wanted to go to college and were trying to figure out a way to pay for it but couldn't and worked at the chemical plant b/c they had exhausted their options. But it's even worse, a complete tragedy, when going to college is such an alien idea that they don't even try.

I can certainly understand why UT gives a leg up to people from under-represented areas of Texas.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2004, 06:53:05 PM »
I've heard that people who get held recieve an e-mail and those who are accepted recieve a letter.  Any truth to this?

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2004, 06:59:33 PM »
I got my acceptance letter today.  It was in a "small" envelope - normal business envelope, not thick.  When I check my online status, it still says I'm being considered.  I applied on 10/1 and was complete on 11/2.

texas1

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2004, 08:55:55 PM »
I got my acceptance letter today.  It was in a "small" envelope - normal business envelope, not thick.  When I check my online status, it still says I'm being considered.  I applied on 10/1 and was complete on 11/2.

Congrats!!!!

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2004, 09:00:49 PM »
BigTex - Thanks!

SketchyPhi - What were the results?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2004, 09:34:32 PM »
Do you think I'd be wasting my money applying to UT-Austin (out of state) with a 3.98/163 and 2 years work experience at a fortune 100? 

Numbers-wise it looks like it might be a waste, but their 25th-75th is 160 - 166, so that means the median is probably right around a 163 or 164.  I don't want to waste $70 if I don't have to--anyone think it's worth it?   

UT's mean LSAT is a 165. I read on another thread where a UT adm. officer told someone else on this site at a law school forum that the accepted stats for out-of-staters and Texas residents were very similar. I have no idea of the validity or truth of this statement, but I don't think (especially with your stats.) that you should be discouraged from applying just because you are not from Texas. Your LSAT is barely below the mean and your GPA is well above the 75 percentile. Why not?  423 people applied to UT last year with a 3.75+ GPA and a LSAT between 160-164.  173 of those people were accepted.  That is about a 40% acceptance rate for people in your range.  On top of that, both your GPA & your LSAT score are on the upper end of that spectrum.  I would say that you probably have a pretty good shot!  At least a good enough shot that it warrants an application!   

Also, another poster on this website was from out-of-state and got accepted with about a 3.0/163-171 LSAT split. Those may not be her exact stats, but they were pretty close to that.

This is a good analysis. Let's take it a step further. 40% of the people in that range were accepted. Let's assume that 20% of them were out-of state (TX is 80% residents, not 70% as someone mentioned). That makes your chances of admission 8%. Now, considering that it appears TX is weighing the LSAT much more heavily than GPA this year (speculation, but a look at the current numbers makes a compelling case for this), your chances are probably a little bit lower than that 8%.

I'm a gambling man, so I'd spend the 70 bucks. But be aware of the odds.

Doesn't Berkeley like candidates with your stats?

LSATGuru

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2004, 09:41:38 PM »
Meh.  I have decided I won't apply to UT-Austin because, as you may have read, I got a full-ride to Baylor.  I'd be a moron to pay out of state tuition for UT-Austin when Baylor's reputation for Trail-Ad (what I want to do) is arguably the bset in the state.

Not going to waste the $70.

BigBadBo

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2004, 10:06:06 PM »
There is no reason to believe that, based on ten people or so that got accepted, LSAT scores have become a much larger part of UT's admissions process.  We need a bit of patience.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2004, 10:11:51 PM »
BigBadBo - I just really looked at your avatar for the first time.  Is that a real cat or is it some kind of digital imaging?