Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Time to pull the trigger. [Chicago area schools]  (Read 671 times)

waiting

• View Profile
Time to pull the trigger. [Chicago area schools]
« on: April 08, 2004, 09:34:36 PM »
OK, here I am.  I have one week to decide.  I have received scholarship offers that are practically equal (between 7-8k a year) from DePaul, Kent, and Loyola.  Money is not an issue (heck, when you're loaning enough to buy a house, what's a couple thousand?)

Like world + dog, I'm planning on IP.  Although I just might change my mind (I did as an undergrad).

I'm leaning towards Kent.  Someone please let me know if I'm making a huge mistake :)

little_old_lady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Time to pull the trigger. [Chicago area schools]
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 10:03:43 PM »
I think it's fairly obvious that Kent and Loyola are much better schools than DePaul so that's the easy choice.  Between Kent and Loyola is harder.  Historically Loyola has been seen as the better school, however Kent is 'on the rise.'  Loyola's strengths are health law and family law.  However, Loyola has more of a name.  For example, I have a good friend who grew up in Chicago and he had never heard that IIT had a law school. 

However, I think they'll offer pretty much the same opportunities so I'd choose based on personal preference and which school offers more classes that you're interested in. 

ajlynnette

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:15:43 AM »
well, let's consult USNWR shall we? according to them, Kent's got the higher rank than Loyola albeit just the 'name' loyola supercedes kent's. but according to USN, DePaul's in the top 10 IP schools even though it's considered (by them) a T3. a cousin of mine went there and said that it was a very good school for the buck. if you live in chicago, i say go visit these 3 schools, get a feel for them all, and go from there. if you don't live in chicago, then i say get on the horn over the summer or try to make a trip there (if you don't work or have a flexible job).

i'm glad i made the trip to find out that northwestern was just NOT the place for me to be at, i don't care WHAT my numbers are. and from what i've been told by one of the attys i work for? when it comes to IP, what matters just a little more is being able to fit in IP and not so much as where you learned it at. a school's name can only carry you so far.

food for thought. :)

Prince Rondavel

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 08:53:08 AM »
when it comes to IP, what matters just a little more is being able to fit in IP and not so much as where you learned it at.

What does this mean, "being able to fin in IP?"

P_R_