Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I doing the Right Thing?  (Read 17993 times)

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Am I doing the Right Thing?
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2005, 04:31:41 PM »

my personal opinion, coupled w/ the opinion of my ps 101 professor and attornies I know who were ps majors.

poli sci as rigorous as any major, and any major can be done well or poorly.  julie know plenty of poli sci majors and professors who consider it to be excellent background for law school.  (neither poli sci nor anything else meant to be strictly "pre-law" curriculum in any case.)

No it is not, it is easy; that is why so many pre-law students do it.  If anyone believes that ps is a hard major, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona; you'd have to be clueless or dilusional.
And perhaps ps majors and professors do concider it excellent for pre-law, but they seem to be a biased group, usually people favor their own major.

And to the guy who corrects spelling, get a life, D-bag.

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2005, 04:43:28 PM »
Sorry, hilljack, but I must dissent.  I'm a double major in poli sci and philosophy and I find poli sci to be far more challenging than I thought it would be.  It is not an "easy" major. 
Also, whoever was saying they were afraid Philosophy would be a science involving CAT scans...  just so you know, that's not what it is.  It is a lot of reading and a lot of discussing.  I love it.  (Poli sci, I hate.  But if you like the idea of sitting around discussing philosophical readings, do philosophy.)
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2005, 07:29:27 PM »
Sorry, hilljack, but I must dissent.  I'm a double major in poli sci and philosophy and I find poli sci to be far more challenging than I thought it would be.  It is not an "easy" major. 
Also, whoever was saying they were afraid Philosophy would be a science involving CAT scans...  just so you know, that's not what it is.  It is a lot of reading and a lot of discussing.  I love it.  (Poli sci, I hate.  But if you like the idea of sitting around discussing philosophical readings, do philosophy.)

Well I must admit that majors vary in difficulty by school, but I have heard that poli sci (called government) is easy at UVA, which is a pretty good school.  I have also heard that it is easy at a lot of other normal state schools.  Maybe its harder at some schools, but I have never heard anyone compare it to engineering or chemistry, I think such a comparison would be laughable, I personally hear it as being right there with English as far as difficulty and right there with sociology as far as marketability.

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005, 07:51:33 PM »

Well I must admit that majors vary in difficulty by school, but I have heard that poli sci (called government) is easy at UVA, which is a pretty good school.  I have also heard that it is easy at a lot of other normal state schools.  Maybe its harder at some schools, but I have never heard anyone compare it to engineering or chemistry, I think such a comparison would be laughable, I personally hear it as being right there with English as far as difficulty and right there with sociology as far as marketability.

As far as being "right there with English as far as difficulty": I don't think English is all that easy.  At my school, it was quite a difficult major actually.  Certainly the GPA curve is lower in the sciences.  As for the marketability of sociology, I cannot comment. 

I have always thought of communications & psychology as the easiest majors. Oh, and definently geology! SO I guess it really differs from person to person! 
Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2005, 08:01:34 PM »

As far as being "right there with English as far as difficulty": I don't think English is all that easy.  At my school, it was quite a difficult major actually.  Certainly the GPA curve is lower in the sciences.  As for the marketability of sociology, I cannot comment. 

I have always thought of communications & psychology as the easiest majors. Oh, and definently geology! SO I guess it really differs from person to person! 

You are probably right, English was a bad comparison.  Let me rephrase it as 'right there w/ communications as far as difficulty.'

And don't forget to throw in sports management.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2005, 01:29:37 AM »

my personal opinion, coupled w/ the opinion of my ps 101 professor and attornies I know who were ps majors.

poli sci as rigorous as any major, and any major can be done well or poorly.  julie know plenty of poli sci majors and professors who consider it to be excellent background for law school.  (neither poli sci nor anything else meant to be strictly "pre-law" curriculum in any case.)

No it is not, it is easy; that is why so many pre-law students do it. If anyone believes that ps is a hard major, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona; you'd have to be clueless or dilusional.
And perhaps ps majors and professors do concider it excellent for pre-law, but they seem to be a biased group, usually people favor their own major.

oh yeah?  how electoral college work?

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2005, 01:38:34 AM »

No it is not, it is easy; that is why so many pre-law students do it. If anyone believes that ps is a hard major, I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona; you'd have to be clueless or dilusional.

oh yeah?  how electoral college work?

Okay, I will be fair and not look it up.  It goes something like this (I am sure I will get something wrong)

1. Vote
2. There is some meaningless meeting where people from each state, who I beleive are elected by a state legislator or something, vote for the candidate that (most of the time) the people selected. (I know that once a president got a unanimous vote and someone voted against him so GW would be the only unanimously elected pres.)
3. Person w/ most votes = winnner

Okay, my turn, explain the effect on fiscal and monetary policy to correct decrease in demand caused by a loss in consumer confidence in a classical economic model?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2005, 08:57:45 AM »
you get f, even in most basic poli sci intro class.  no wonder you figure it so easy.  she guarantee you that even uva government majors know this, and plenty more. 

want second chance?  explain difficulties asssociated with arriving at justiciable definition of obscenity.

p.s.  julie not take your econ quiz because she not claim it an easy major.  let julie take wild guess:  you agree with her 

only thing that can make major easy is level of knowledge required to pass.  julie figure that econ major at credible program have no problem with your quiz, just as no poli sci major at crfedible program have problem with julie's questions. 

otherwise, you like the elitists on lsd who make fun of anyone who not score 170 or better on lsat or go to t14 law school.  get over self!

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2005, 10:48:40 AM »
you get f, even in most basic poli sci intro class.  no wonder you figure it so easy.  she guarantee you that even uva government majors know this, and plenty more. 

want second chance?  explain difficulties asssociated with arriving at justiciable definition of obscenity.

p.s.  julie not take your econ quiz because she not claim it an easy major.  let julie take wild guess:  you agree with her 

only thing that can make major easy is level of knowledge required to pass.  julie figure that econ major at credible program have no problem with your quiz, just as no poli sci major at crfedible program have problem with julie's questions. 

otherwise, you like the elitists on lsd who make fun of anyone who not score 170 or better on lsat or go to t14 law school.  get over self!

Actually, I do consider econ an easy major, not as easy as poli sci though.

And I aced ps 101 - read earlier post where my prof told me not to major in poli sci for pre-law.
In my intro class, we never really went over nuts and bolts, my prof thought that if we wanted to do that, we could look it up on our own.  We spent most of the time talking about the current and Vietnam-era political tension in America.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2005, 01:18:57 PM »
sorry if your school has loser poli sci program, or econ, for that matter.