Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I doing the Right Thing?  (Read 17650 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: Am I doing the Right Thing?
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2005, 04:06:08 AM »
sleep tight.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2005, 04:06:40 AM »
don't let bedbugs bite.

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2005, 04:09:22 AM »
 I think this discussion sidelines the question of whereone studies a particular major. I assume that a degree in political science means something slightly different at Harvard or Yale than it does at a public state university. Similarly, a degree in economics that emphasizes stats and math and analytical skills is quite different from one that takes a political economy approach. I think the most difficult class I have had as an undergrad was Latin, and that was largely a function of grading, professor's expectations and the material covered, which was significantly more than other foreign language classes. I have not had a single Thai session that has come close to the level of difficulty I had in Latin class, and this damn thing involves a separate alphabet.
 As far as the relative difficulty of political science...I think it depends a great deal on the choice of classes, professors and emphasis. My major is a combination of political science, political philosophy and economics...which I thought made for a good pre-law combination. It also helped quite a bit when I decided to go abroad to study development.
 That being said, I think my major was relatively easy. Now, it involved far too much reading...but I also had a good time, socially that is. I think that is possible with a variety of majors...even my friends studying physiology consider it relatively easy, bitching mostly about their chemistry classes. It depends a great deal on what you put into it, as far as course selection, and what your natural strengths are.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2005, 05:16:26 AM »
good points, although julie point out that selectivity in admissions not same as rigor in curriculum.  dunno about yale, but harvard--and other "prestigious" schools--passes out a's in general like they m&ms.

gibbsale

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2005, 05:46:48 AM »
 Yes...in their defense, I have also heard that while grade inflation is a major problem at those schools, it is also a cover for how difficult their curriculum actually is. That being said, it makes it difficult to actually evaluate the rigor of a program if the majority complete it with well above a 3.0.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2005, 06:19:15 AM »
interesting issue.  without having better knowledge of those programs, julie must rely, at least in part, on instinct.  it seem that high expectations hardly can be enforced when everyone gets really good grades.

also, we must maintain distinction between undergrad programs and graduate programs in this context:  school might have rigorous program at one level but not the other.

julie believe that, in general, schools grade much too easily and students not work hard enough.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2005, 09:38:12 AM »
julie believe that, in general, schools grade much too easily and students not work hard enough.

Not at the American Truck Driving School, no siree Bob. If you can't back 'er up through the cones without hittin' 'em, you're f'ed.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2005, 10:12:54 AM »
no.  not there.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »
no.  not there.

Ain't nothin' like takin' the big rig out on the super slab.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2005, 11:15:19 AM »
we still talking about trucking, right?