Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I doing the Right Thing?  (Read 17419 times)

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Am I doing the Right Thing?
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2005, 03:12:49 AM »
I'm sure you have done very well, but you still haven't made an argument.  That's all I'm saying.  You haven't said anything that needs to be responded to. You simply stated your opinion.  And we disagreed.  End of discussion.

Respond to the fact that poli sci majors do not do very well in ug job placement and that pre-law GPA junkies regularly major in poli sci (because it is comparitively easier to accomplish a higher GPA)

Fine.  I will.
Whether or not poli sci majors have trouble getting jobs after graduation has absolutely nothing to do with the difficulty of the major.  There are plenty of challenging majors out there that don't lead easily into high paying jobs, such as Philosophy, Physics, and weird languages like Russian.
Pre-law students, in my opinion, most likely major in political science because they have the somewhat misguided view that it will cater to their interest in the law.  However, that aside, this is still irrelevant.  The perceptions of college freshman choosing their undergraduate majors is also not evidence to the difficulty of that major. 
Difficulty is a relative thing that is ultimately in the eye of the beholder.  Some things are hard for some people and easy for others and vice versa.  What you are claiming is an opinion and these things that you are citing do not change that.
3.7/165.  How crazy to finally have real stats...

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2005, 03:19:06 AM »
I'm sure you have done very well, but you still haven't made an argument.  That's all I'm saying.  You haven't said anything that needs to be responded to. You simply stated your opinion.  And we disagreed.  End of discussion.

Respond to the fact that poli sci majors do not do very well in ug job placement and that pre-law GPA junkies regularly major in poli sci (because it is comparitively easier to accomplish a higher GPA)

Fine.  I will.
Whether or not poli sci majors have trouble getting jobs after graduation has absolutely nothing to do with the difficulty of the major.  There are plenty of challenging majors out there that don't lead easily into high paying jobs, such as Philosophy, Physics, and weird languages like Russian.
Pre-law students, in my opinion, most likely major in political science because they have the somewhat misguided view that it will cater to their interest in the law.  However, that aside, this is still irrelevant.  The perceptions of college freshman choosing their undergraduate majors is also not evidence to the difficulty of that major. 
Difficulty is a relative thing that is ultimately in the eye of the beholder.  Some things are hard for some people and easy for others and vice versa.  What you are claiming is an opinion and these things that you are citing do not change that.

At least you made a rebutal.

Although I don't see Physics majors in that category.

Somehow, I feel that someone should major in something for a reason.  I majored in Econ. because it is good for law school but also has some marketiblity.

Some people have no love for certainty/moner or certainty, thats okay.

But is the claim that poli sci majors have significantly higher major GPAs than ug GPA not true.

I think you should consider the fact that most intelligent people want a marketible major and therefore those people drive up the required inteligence/effort required is a factor in the difficulty of a major.

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2005, 03:24:48 AM »
If someone wants to go to lawschool then the "marketability" of their major as a single bachelors degree is irrelevant to them.  For that reason, and others, it is unreasonable for you to claim to know what "most intelligent people" want.
How are physics majors not in that category?  Where is a physics major going to work?  You need graduate work in physics to do anything really physics related.  And perhaps you need graduate work in political science (such as law school) to make good money.  But as you can see, this does not make it easy.  Cuz trust me, physics is not easy.
As for whether poli sci majors have high GPAs, I really don't know.  If you'd like, you're more than welcome to post some stats on this.  But I still won't think that proves any sort of factual claim of the difficulty of the major itself.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2005, 03:33:30 AM »
If someone wants to go to lawschool then the "marketability" of their major as a single bachelors degree is irrelevant to them.  For that reason, and others, it is unreasonable for you to claim to know what "most intelligent people" want.
How are physics majors not in that category?  Where is a physics major going to work?  You need graduate work in physics to do anything really physics related.  And perhaps you need graduate work in political science (such as law school) to make good money.  But as you can see, this does not make it easy.  Cuz trust me, physics is not easy.
As for whether poli sci majors have high GPAs, I really don't know.  If you'd like, you're more than welcome to post some stats on this.  But I still won't think that proves any sort of factual claim of the difficulty of the major itself.

Can non-physics majors go to grad school in physics?
Can non-poli sci majors go to law school?
I hope you understand the comparison.

Also, there is a great belief that a difficult major (such as physics) even thought the material learned is somewhat non-useful, can lead to employment becuase it is a sign to employers that as a student, you completed menial, dificult, tasks.

As far as poli sci data, my opinion was based on what I have heard, which I admit is not the 'absolute truth'

To deny that marketibility is a factor in employment is a factor in employment is ridiculous.  I don't want to explain this, but I will if you want to be proven wrong in a fashion that anybody would consider complete.

Preview:

education/communications v. pharmacy/engineering
consider difficulty and compensation.

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2005, 03:39:28 AM »
Please don't be so cocky with your "if you want to be proven wrong I'll gladly do it" junk.  Especially when I never said that marketability is not factor in employment.  That's clearly incorrect.  I said that marketability in the work force is not a factor in law school admissions.
As far as your comparison, I don't get your point.  You're just saying that many majors can get you into law school.  So what?  Yeah, you have to do physics in ug to do physics in grad.  So, if you like physics, then do it.  And if you like poli sci, then do it.  What does that have to do with the difficulty of a political science major?

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2005, 03:42:25 AM »
Please don't be so cocky with your "if you want to be proven wrong I'll gladly do it" junk.  Especially when I never said that marketability is not factor in employment.  That's clearly incorrect.  I said that marketability in the work force is not a factor in law school admissions.
As far as your comparison, I don't get your point.  You're just saying that many majors can get you into law school.  So what?  Yeah, you have to do physics in ug to do physics in grad.  So, if you like physics, then do it.  And if you like poli sci, then do it.  What does that have to do with the difficulty of a political science major?

Your inference that ug physics-grad physics is analogous to poli sci-law school is incorrect. That was the point.

What has anything you have said lent to the argument that poli sci is difficult.  If that is not what you are arguing, what is it?

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2005, 03:45:06 AM »
Especially when I never said that marketability is not factor in employment.  That's clearly incorrect.  I said that marketability in the work force is not a factor in law school admissions.

The argument is the difficulty of the major, law school admissions has nothing to do w/ it

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2005, 03:46:10 AM »
You're exactly right.  nothing I've said has lent to an argument that poli sci is difficult.  as I have been trying to tell you, my whole point is that the difficulty of a major is a matter of opinion to be left up to someone who is actually in that major and has taken advanced coursework in that major, etc.  You're, of course, more than welcome to offer your opinion about the courses you have taken, but that's all.  Just your opinion.  I haven't been arguing that poli sci is difficult because there is nothing that could make that argument.  It's simply my opinion that your assessment of poli sci as "easy" was incorrect.  I have refuted your points at your request, not because I thought it was relevant.  All I find relevant is that fact that this is a matter of you taking your opinion to be more factual than it is.

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2005, 03:47:24 AM »
Especially when I never said that marketability is not factor in employment.  That's clearly incorrect.  I said that marketability in the work force is not a factor in law school admissions.

The argument is the difficulty of the major, law school admissions has nothing to do w/ it

Well then why did you find it necessary to say that "most intelligent people want a marketable major"?  Does that have anything to do with difficulty?  No.  I said this because I'm showing you an example of an intelligent person not caring much about the marketability of their degree.

Dominique

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am Mighty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2005, 03:59:21 AM »
Well, I'm gonna go to bed, it's late.  But before I do, I wanna tell you one of my favorite jokes.  It's about arguing with people on the internet.  It's like the special olympics.  You might win, but you're still retarded.
And that was meant to be totally light hearted, so I hope you don't take it personally.  It was not to be insulting to you (or people with disabilities...), and it was totally self-deprecating as well.  I hope you take it as my kind way of acknowledging that I don't take this personally and have enjoyed our back-and-forth.
Goodnight.