Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I doing the Right Thing?  (Read 17427 times)

legends159

• View Profile
Re: Am I doing the Right Thing?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2005, 02:21:07 PM »
Would political science count as Pre-law? I dont know what I'd like to major in yet because I havent had any experience in any of the fields but I'm taking AP government right now and cruising through it and I really enjoy the subject. Would polyscience be the best option for me right now while I'm still clueless of other fields?

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2005, 08:42:21 PM »
Would political science count as Pre-law? I dont know what I'd like to major in yet because I havent had any experience in any of the fields but I'm taking AP government right now and cruising through it and I really enjoy the subject. Would polyscience be the best option for me right now while I'm still clueless of other fields?

PoliSci isn't the same as Pre-Law.  Many students in law school were poli sci majors when they were undergraduates.  And if you truly have an interest in poli sci, why not study it?  Also, I'm glad to hear you admit that you're clueless of other fields and that you'd take poli sci in a tentative way, keeping other options open.  Good idea!

I have read that the most common undergrad majors of lawyers are: History, Poli Sci & English.  I have also read that people with math or philosophy majors do best on the LSAT.  And then all the technical degrees can lead to IP law...

Sounds like you enjoy Political Science & have knack for it.  As long as you don't mind heavy reading & writing requirements, it's a great choice.
Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »
I've always been intrigued by philosophy but I'm afraid that it wont be what I imagine it to be. I always think of philosophy as a discussion of literature and basically a bunch of thinkers. I'm afraid it'll turn into a science thing where we look at CAT scans of the brain and such.  ???

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 07:16:49 AM »
yes, that it.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »

At most schools poli-sci or government is the worst major pre-laws can take.  History, English and if you can handle it engineering are probably the best.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 07:49:05 PM »
says who?

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 08:17:29 PM »

At most schools poli-sci or government is the worst major pre-laws can take.  History, English and if you can handle it engineering are probably the best.

Can I get some more insight on this? Seems the consensus on this board is that the major doesnt matter unless you're taking a bs major like phys ed.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 08:36:52 PM »

Can I get some more insight on this? Seems the consensus on this board is that the major doesnt matter unless you're taking a bs major like phys ed.

Your best move would probably be to speak to your prelaw advisor, any attornies you know and the professors in the fields you are interested.

quote author=Julie Fern link=topic=1431.msg443716#msg443716 date=1112143745]
says who?

my personal opinion, coupled w/ the opinion of my ps 101 professor and attornies I know who were ps majors.

hey not you hey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey. Not you. Hey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2005, 02:27:30 AM »
dude...not to be a male private part or anything...but you should check the accuracy of the plural spelling of what you plan on becoming.  it just blows my mind sometimes....

and that whole "planning your major to attend law school" schtick is bogus.  major in what you want to major in regardless of whether you plan on attending law school.  that said, english or philosophy might enhance your lawyering skills.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2005, 07:34:19 AM »

my personal opinion, coupled w/ the opinion of my ps 101 professor and attornies I know who were ps majors.

poli sci as rigorous as any major, and any major can be done well or poorly.  julie know plenty of poli sci majors and professors who consider it to be excellent background for law school.  (neither poli sci nor anything else meant to be strictly "pre-law" curriculum in any case.)